Chapter 9: Fight (Save Me, Won't You?)

He was right. The S System really was more complex than what Mashima-sensei had told them. And thanks to him realizing this so fast, Class A was on top.

The spirits of the class were higher than ever, even with the class being more divided than it should be.

Soon after Kakashi had spoken up about the point system being strange, Arisu started making her moves fast and gaining allies.

In no time, it had become clear to everyone in Class A that Arisu was also contending for the role of the class representative.

However, now that Kakashi's theory had been confirmed, the class understood the need for a strong class representative instantly. There was no time to be lost when the three other classes were all too eager to get ahead of Class A.

Some students didn't quite get the sense of urgency; they had 980 class points, after all. But Kakashi knew all too well that these points could be fleeting.

One month and Class D had lost all of them, after all. This made it clear that losing class points was no difficult feat.

Kakashi thought that the battle between the Katsuragi and Sakayanagi factions would go on for a while until something significant happened.

Until the calm students who were sure of their safety felt endangered, and maybe even after Class A was challenged by a strong enemy, the two factions would fight and Class A would remain unstable.

It wasn't such a bad thing, Kakashi thought.

Mashima-sensei had suggested in his speech that there would be a way for the classes to earn class points (what he'd been trying to convey was that the class mustn't relax, but perhaps only a select few understood that). It only meant that they could be overtaken.

Whatever the method to earn class points was, Kakashi hadn't ceased getting to know his enemies. Sometimes, that included some spying.

Today, it was the first of May and it was afternoon, meaning it was time for club activities.

Kakashi didn't particularly feel like he needed a good fight right now, but he still went just for the attendance. The last thing he wanted was to rob his class of any class points, even if they had so many.

At the beginning of the school year, Kakashi had been certain his contribution to his class and the school would be minimal.

However, it turned out his father had been right about the ANHS being just the place for Kakashi. Something about the place just made him want to try.

That, and Kakashi was noticing a few changes in himself lately. For one, he smiled more than before. Back in junior high, Kakashi had only gone through the motions of living.

Now, for some reason, he was enjoying himself, and he was much more attentive to those around him. He was no longer ignorant to everyone, he no longer only followed his self-interest.

He still wasn't certain what caused this slight change, but he theorized that it may be his class.

Although he wouldn't go as far as to call anyone his friend (was he even capable of letting his guard down and befriending someone, he wondered?) he had certainly grown fond of a few people.

When she wasn't being incredibly bossy (which she usually was), then he enjoyed talking to Arisu and playing chess with her.

When he wasn't busy being cunning and sly and wasn't on the lookout for more people he could use, Kakashi enjoyed casually chatting with Hashimoto.

And most recently, Kakashi enjoyed screwing with Kamuro, who had been the latest significant addition to the Sakayanagi faction (of which he was begrudgingly part).