Chapter Thirty- Five- A Great Way to Ruin a Great Day

Start from the beginning

Simon looked up, when he didn't hear my answer. "Beka...Do you understand?" he asked forcefully. I swallowed, before taking him in a hug again.

"I love you Daddy." I whispered, before taking off at a sprint towards my room.

My shoes slapped across the hard tiles, as my tiny legs rushed me through the halls. My heart was pounding hysterically in my chest, and my eyes were widened with fear. I felt like there were a million eyes watching me, following me. My paranoia only made it seem like my travel was much longer, but when I finally reached my door, I pushed it open hurriedly, and slammed it loudly behind me.

The room was darkly lit. The only light was coming from a candle on my desk in the corner. My pants for air were the only thing you could hear.

To make sure nobody could get in, I jammed the wooden chair under the handle, hoping that it would hold. I sat on the end of my bed with a shuttered sigh, brought my knees up to my chest, and watched the door nervously. I put Tiggers and Chester on the bed with me to try and gain some comfort, but to no avail, my stomach was still tying itself in knots.

I was scared, unbelievably scared. David had promised that he'd get what he wanted, and all he wanted was me. I was quite sure that I could take David on in a brawl if I needed to, but I prefer to avoid him completely, less people wouldn't be harmed that way.

-

It had been at least an hour before I felt comfortable enough to not stare at the door. I swallowed the lump in my throat and cautiously moved around the room. There wasn't much to do, but I tried as hard as I possibly could to preoccupy my thoughts.

I was absently drawing a flower on a piece of paper when there was a noise that came from the bathroom. I snapped my head up in that direction, feeling paranoid again. What if there's someone in here? What do I do? I looked over at Tiggers and Chester to check I hadn't just imagined the noise, but no, their ears and heads were turned to the bathroom entry, and their fur was standing on end.

My heart began to flutter nervously again, and a bead of sweat trickled down the back of my neck. I waited, frozen, in my position, for another sound, but nothing came. My ears began to ring because I was listening so hard.

When I was about to forget about the sound, and think that it was just a jar falling over, a flash of movement caught my eye in the dark. I gasped and pressed myself on the furthest wall away from the bathroom. "Who-who's there...?" I said trembling.

Again the dark was filled with movement, but this time, a figure stepped out into the light of the bedroom.

"Hello Beka...it's been a while."

My stiff shoulders slouched, and my face turned to confusion. I was no longer scared, but concerned and deeply confused. "Paul?" I asked. "What are you doing here?"

Paul stepped further into the light and made his way over to me. I met him half way, and looked up at him, waiting for a reply to my question.

Paul hadn't changed much. He was still the same man as I remembered, but there was black bags circling his eyes and his face seemed to have age tremendously. Paul smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes, like it used to. "I came to wish you a happy birthday." he said kindly. All the stress of the previous moment eased out of me, and a smiled slipped across my face. I took him in a warm embrace, and he rubbed circles into my back fondly.

It was a long embrace. I had missed him so much. I had missed his whole family. They reminded me of who I used to be, just an ordinary girl, and without them I felt like I had no past.

"Thank you for coming Paul." I whispered to him. "Look at all the presents I got today. I want to show them to Daddy...um Simon, and also tell him that you're here, he'll be thrilled." I said, excitedly, whilst planing to move the chair that was wedged under the door handle.

A small sniffle came from Paul, and I figured he was crying about seeing me, so I held him to me again, this time tighter.

"I'm sorry..." he whispered back, sounding distressed.

I realized what he meant. "Don't be. What happened with my family is history now. You need to move forward. It's what they would have wanted." I told him.

Paul sniffled again. "No, not for that..." he cried.

"Then what...?" I asked.

A sharp pain entered my body as Paul pushed an arrow into my back. I pushed him away, feeling the stinging pain spread through me. I looked at him shocked, trying to reach the arrow in my back, but a drowsiness came over me quickly. TI realized what he had done. He had drugged me, poisoned my veins. My breathing became heavy, and the room started to spin. I fell to my knees dizzily, and tried to determine which way was up. The spinning increased, and my breathing became faster, ragged. A white light began to fill my vision, taking over the spinning room, and I fell to the ground, unconscious.

The end-

---------------------------------------------------------

So there it is guys. The end of my first book. I hoped you liked it. I know I said I was going to wait until tomorrow but then I got really excited and couldn't wait.

Love Always

Beka Fisher

xoxo