Chapter 9- The Golden Gates

Start from the beginning

"These dogs... it's bewildering, frankly." She continued, watching the rest of the group. "He didn't deny he did it, never changed his story or shifted the blame, he completely owned it. And he's somehow one of the nicest dogs in here, he brought me food trays, made sure I ate regularly, and within a few hours with him it already felt like he'd take bullet for me."

Chase listened to her with piqued interest. "I never really knew the people I was sent after as a pup. You just put the handcuffs on them, and they get hauled off."

"Now, not everyone in here is like that, believe me." Everest shifted her to an idle dog sitting alone on a bed. "Some of us are... not to be approached. But dogs like Rome are certainly around."

"Well, I'm glad this room isn't full of serial killers," Chase muttered. "But I still can't stay here. Dutch has Rocky and Marshall, and knowing how long Archline's been after us, I don't really want to think about what'll happen to them. Did you see what he's capable of?"

"Who?"

"Dutch. He's... weird." The shepherd thought back to the one-sided fight with the executive. "He doesn't move like a normal animal."

"Given how utterly insane and narrow-minded these genetic researchers are, I'm not surprised." Everest chuckled. "Who knows what they're doing to themselves... Anyway, you don't have to sit up here for hours, you know. You gotta come down at some point."

Chase flashed a nervous look at the general crowd. "I'm... not sure."

"Oh don't be a stranger." Everest smiled, hopping down to the floor. "I'll teach you how to play the card games we like. Come on, we have a whole table to ourselves."

"I-" Chase hesitated, looking over the bunk bed's edge. Just stepping on the floor alone seemed to place a target on his back, but with Everest, it should be relatively safer. She knew him, after all, and he knew her. "Alright." He nodded and jumped down to join her.

They played 'gin rummy' for a while, mostly consisting of Chase staring at his cards in absolute confusion while Everest giggled at his frustration. The husky leaned on her paw with an endearing smirk as she watched her friend fall all over himself.

"Can I use cards that are different colors?" He asked, on the verge of hyperventilating.

"Nope, has to all be one suit, so the same color." Everest replied, deviancy rolling off her tongue. She tightly held her own hand of cards, keeping them carefully concealed.

"God, what do you have?" Chase realized her mischievous look, a wave of fear hitting him. "What crazy move are you about to make that'll win you the game?"

"I haven't even played a card yet, Chase."

"Not yet, but you will!" The shepherd pointed an accusatory paw. "I'm gonna play a thing, then you're gonna smirk and reveal some massive bullshit play that completely ravages me, and-"

"Dude," the husky laughed. "Just play something!"

"Fine, here." Chase slapped three cards on the table. "Fifteen points, shove it." He swiped a new card off the deck, making sure his opponent saw the scrunching glare on his face. His demeanor appeared hostile, but Chase was gleefully enjoying himself, immersed in a fun game with someone he put off for dead so long ago.

Everest scanned the move. "Oh, I needed that card, go figure." There was a glint in her eye, "I guess I'll just do this instead." Ignoring Chase's dismay, she swiftly unloaded nearly half her cards onto the table. "Three of a kind, four for the heart row, three for the spade row. I can play off the row you already have..." she rearranged the cards a little. "And... I believe that's around fifty-five points."