Chapter 8- The Name of God

For a facility hiding within the depths of the Earth, its white-walled corridors were pristinely designed. Rocky felt as if he were walking through a palace, his awe never fading as traversed deeper into the complex. Every door was made of shining glass, every floor so clean he could see his reflection, all accented with paint that formed symmetrical designs as they walked. More dogs appeared the further he was led in, they passed by several animals in white coats completing various tasks. The Shibi Inu at the front desk nodded to him, the two mutts carrying a locked container quickly parted to let them through, and Rocky snuck a glance into an officer room where a Rottweiler was hunched over a desk, typing away on a computer.

"Welcome to Site 16." Dutch said aloud, glistening pride in his voice.

"I appreciate the tour." Rocky muttered, uneasily following the executive. "How many of these places do you have?"

"Enough. But this one is special, being the home of our most successful projects yet."

"Which are?"

Passing through a doorway, the two dogs crossed a large catwalk, overlooking a massive room where dozens of animals were scampering like rats. Large, blocky machines were set up all around, dispensing and retrieving test tubes on command. Rocky spotted a table where at least four of the workers were huddled around a computer, one of them pointing at the screen and talking aloud. Squinting his eyes, Rocky slowed his pace, coming to look over the railing.

"The honor to be God, be Rocky." Dutch seemed to read the captain's interest. "The dominion over all life, down to the manipulation of its very cells. It's a honor that's rightfully ours."

"Liberty did say you were genetic researchers."

"Liberty knew nothing," Dutch scoffed. "How can one undersell us with such a... basic title?" He came to the railing as well, looking over the researchers with glinting eyes. "With achievements like ours, we deserve more than some pathetic label, we deserve..." he thought for a moment. "To be worshipped."

"You're just a dog, Dutch." Rocky faced him, "just as I am, and every other dog in the world."

A faint twitch went through the executive. "I could prove you wrong so easily." He gestured for Rocky to follow, leading him away from the view. An unnerving feeling followed him as he moved, a twisted light beginning to emit from the leader in front of him. He couldn't get Chase or Marshall out of his mind, both his brothers taken away into the unknown, how many friends was he supposed to lose today? He was already stolen from the protective arms of the ACG, and now his family was likely gone as well.

"Go have a seat," Dutch said, opening the door to a meeting room and beckoning for Rocky to enter. He held a firm, frozen gaze onto the mix with every step he made, eyeing him as he walked in. The room alone wasn't anything special, just a large table with a couple chairs. A few shelves and smaller tables lined the edge, some holding an array of fake plants and even a small coffee machine.

Following him like a prowling coyote, Dutch shut the door behind him. "Thirsty?"

Rocky placed himself in one of the chairs, trying to shake the curling feeling his chest. "No... thank you."

"Oh come now," Dutch walked to the coffee machine. "It's rude to deny the feeding hand of the superior."

Superior? Rocky's eyes narrowed slightly at Dutch's wording. Who did this Malinois think he was? "No, really. I'm not that thirsty..."

"Figures. Don't know why I expected anything out of a low-class mutt."

"Why did you take me all the way in here?" Rocky flattened in his ears, growing agitated.