Chapter 16

Peter held on tight to the griphon that was carrying him towards the castle. He felt his whole body tense up when the castle came into view. It was huge, a robust form that was silent under the moonlight. For one moment Peter felt scared, but he quickly regained himself. He couldn't back down now. He wanted to prove to Laura she was wrong. He gave his little brother the signal. He would keep watch and signal the army.

Caspian, Susan and Peter would go into the castle, first to retrieve Caspians professor, then to kill Miraz and let the army in. The plan was simple, and they the element of surprise on their side. They landed without a sound, killing the guards that had spotted them.

Soundlessly they worked together, creating a rope to get them at the window of the professors room. Caspian went first, then Susan and at last Peter. When Peter entered the room, Caspian was panicking.

"What's wrong?" Peter asked, already annoyed by the prince.

"My professor, they took him" He said, a worried look on his face. "We have to look for him"

"Look" Peter responded "We don't have time for that. We've got to follow the plan."

"Please? He's the reason I'm still alive" Caspian pleaded.

Even more reason to let him rot in a cell Peter thought, but then his sister spoke up.

"Caspian could go. Then we can go to Miraz, and rendezvous at the courtyard to open the gates. It would be possible" Susan said thoughtfully. Caspian looked at Peter hopefully. Peter tried not to feel annoyed by the fact that this was the second time Susan had taken Caspians side today. He considered his options. If Caspian would go to his professor, they had a chance the plan would fail. But if he didn't, it would be possible Caspian would kill Miraz instead of him. Peter made his decision.

"Go" He told Caspian "Meet us in the courtyard when you find him. And don't screw it up."

Caspian nodded, before bolting off through the door. Peter looked at his sister. "Let's go"

——————-

It didn't take them long to find Miraz's room. Caspian gave them the exact directions, and the few guards that stood in their way weren't a match with Peters sword and Susans bow. They barged into Miraz's room, causing the man and his wife to shoot up right in their bed.

Miraz smiled, as if he had expected them. Peter tried to ignore the feeling of dread that was creeping upon him. He stepped forward, sword pointing at Miraz.

"Get up" He ordered while plastering his scariest glare on his face.

Miraz held up his hands, while getting out of bed, the smile still plastered on his face.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't High King Peter. Fancy seeing you here. I suppose I can't offer you a drink?" Miraz sneered.

"It's over, Miraz. An army is waiting outside, ready to strike you down. There's nothing you can do" Peter responded cooly.

Miraz laughed. "Then you're even more stupid than that upstart nephew of mine. As long as I have air in my lungs, it will never be over."

Peter was about to respond when the door flew open once more. Caspian stormed in, murder written over his face.

"Miraz!" He shouted. "Tell me! Tell me the truth for once!" He stormed forward, pointing his sword at Miraz's throat. His wife shrieked, grabbed a crossbow from under the bed and aimed it at Caspian, causing susan to aim her bow at the woman.

Even though he had now a sword on his throat, Miraz started to laugh again.

"What if it was true? You can't kill me, you're too weak" He challenged.