Chapter 10

Peter couldn't sleep. A million thoughts were running through his head. He decided it was no use, so he quietly got up and dressed, and exited his tent.

He was about to walk towards Laura's favorite place when something caught his eye. It was unmistakably Laura, he would recognize that cloak anywhere. But instead walking towards her favorite place, she was sneaking towards the stables. Peter decided to follow her.

He quietly entered the stables. He sneaked past the horses, knowing all too well to which horse Laura was going. Suddenly, he heard something. Thankfully, there was an open stable at his left, in which he quickly ducked.

He held his breath as he heard someone walking past, with a horse. It was unmistakably Laura, together with Nightshade. She was talking softly to the horse, but Peter couldn't make out the words.

He waited a few moments, before exiting the stables again. Almost immediately he found himself on the ground, with an all familiar sword pointed at his throat. Laura towered over him, Nightshade directly behind her.

"Next time you're following someone, make sure you don't walk like an elephant." Laura remarked, a smile tugging at the corner of her mouth. She looked like she had been crying.

"Sorry" Peter said while Laura pulled him up.

"Couldn't sleep either?" Laura asked.

"No, I was about to go to the cliff when I saw you sneaking off towards the stables." Peter frowned. "What were you doing here anyway?"

"Can't I go to my horse?" Laura asked.

"No, that's not it.." Peter said "You were sneaking, and you're wearing your cloak. If you only would go to see Nightshade, you wouldn't wear that."

"Maybe I don't want anyone to see me?" Laura said, attempting to roll her eyes. But Peter didn't believe her.

"Please, Laura. I want to help you. Please tell me what's wrong" Peter begged. He was seriously worried about her. She looked broken.

"I'm fine" She snapped. Peter took a step back. Laura sighed. "Look, I'm sorry okay? I guess suddenly hearing your sworn enemy is your mother isn't good for my temper."

"No, it's fine. But that's why I'm worried about you. It must be really hard for you." Peter responded.

Laura grimaced. "Thanks, but I'm fine, okay? It's better if you would go to bed now."

Peter nodded, understanding she wanted to be alone. He decided he would check upon her in the morning. He was about to walk away when he realized something. A bag was hanging over her shoulder. She was wearing her cloak. She had taken Nightshade out of her stable when before she had confronted Peter.

"You're leaving" Peter stated. It wasn't a question. He knew it.

Laura sighed. "Well, you're not entirely stupid. Yes, I'm leaving, Peter."

"Where are you going? When will you be back?" Peter asked, starting to panic lightly. They could never beat the White Witch without her.

Laura shook her head, a sad expression on her face. "That's it, Peter. I'm not coming back, ever."

"No, no, no, no. You can't be serious right?" Peter was seriously panicking now. "We need you, we can't win-"

"Peter-" Laura interrupted him, but Peter didn't want to hear it.

"No! Laura, don't Peter me. You can't just leave! We need you!" He paused before continuing.

"I need you"

Laura looked down. "It's not that easy, Peter. I'm the enemies daughter. I can't stay here. They hate me."

Peter took her hands in his. Laura didn't pull away.

"I don't care about your heritage. Everyone who does is stupid. You're our strongest and bravest warrior. We can't beat her without you." Peter told her.

Laura started to say something, but Peter continued. "Look, no matter what happens, I'll always love you. I don't care whether she's your mother, or you're immortal. I'll always love you. And I would do anything to be with you."

Laura shook her head. Tears started to form in her eyes. "You don't know what I've done, Peter. I've done horrible things. I could never forgive myself. Besides, the Guardian isn't real, she never was. I'm just a nobody. I can't even control my own stupid powers."

Peter hated the way she talked about herself. He didn't understand how she couldn't see how awesome she was.

He cupped her face with his hands and forced her to look him in the eyes.

"Laura Campbell. You're beautiful on the outside, but even more beautiful on the inside. You're the most amazing girl I've ever met. You are strong, brave and horribly sarcastic. You are nothing like your mother. Don't let anyone tell you different."

He slowly brought his lips onto hers. Laura stirred at first, but slowly relaxed. She threw her arms around his nek, as he moved his hands to her hips. For a moment, both forgot their worries. It was just them. It was perfect.

They pulled both away, out of breath. Laura looked in his eyes. She softly smiled.

"I love you too, Peter Pevensie." She whispered. She got a sad look on her face again. "I still have to leave, though. I can't stay here if I don't even know who I am myself. I'm sorry."

"Then let me come with you." Peter pleaded.

Laura shook her head. "No, Peter. You have a role to play here. They see you as their king."

"Look, I'm not a king. I can barely keep my siblings together, let alone a whole kingdom. I need you, Laura." Peter told her.

"You can do way more than you think, Peter. They believe in you." Laura softly kissed him before continuing. "I believe in you."

Peter couldn't help but smirk. "I feel honored, the great Laura Campbell believes in me." He remarked.

Laura laughed. "Don't get bigheaded, Pevensie. I could kick your ass before you could blink."

Her expression turned serious again. "I really have to go now."

Peter grimaced, but he knew he couldn't do anything. Laura would go, no matter what he would say.

"Promise me we'll see each other again." Peter pleaded.

Laura sighed. "I can't promise that, but if you've beaten the White Witch I'll see if I can come back to see you."

Peter nodded. He knew this was the best he would get.

Their lips collided again. Peter was afraid this would be the last time they would be collided.

They pulled away, and Laura mounted Nightshade. "Goodbye, Peter. I love you."

"I love you too." Peter answered, too sad to say anything else. He opened to stable doors for Laura, and watched as Laura sped off in the night. A heavy feeling settled on him, knowing he probably wouldn't see her again.