Trouble in Paradise

• Regulus Black •

• Regulus Black •

"Sometimes you have to forget
what you feel and remember
what you deserve."

Regulus was lost in thought, as he often was, when he made his way to the library on Sunday morning to work on his Herbology essay. It wasn't exactly his favourite subject, but it wasn't going to write itself and he had firmly promised his mother that he would keep up his good grades and even improve.

His mind seemed to find another subject a lot more interesting, however, and this one was blonde, had turquoise eyes and the prettiest face he knew. He didn't know why Camille had avoided him ever since they had picnicked under the willow. Was he such a bad kisser? Admittedly, he hadn't had much practice, but he thought he'd done a pretty good job on it. But what did he know? He was also quite happy with his academic performance, although Walburga Black always found something to criticise.

Only two days had passed since his date with Camille. Perhaps she had been too busy? Or she simply didn't feel the same way he felt about her. He would have preferred the former. But how was he supposed to concentrate on any plants when these unanswered questions were haunting his brain?

He had seen her seeking Sirius' company recently. Did she find it more pleasant than his? It would be nothing new. Regulus knew that despite everything that had happened, his parents would still want their eldest son to be their heir. At least until he came to his senses.

Regulus tried to convince himself that Camille would have a plausible reason for speaking to Sirius so often in secret. But the dark thoughts remained. He took a deep breath and tried to focus on something else. Plants. They were important for now.

But Regulus' thoughts twisted and turned, no matter which direction he tried to steer them in. When he turned into the next corridor, he had no choice but to think of the pretty Malfoy and his brother. Because there they were. Turning conspiratorially towards each other.

The young Black stopped behind the fork in the road. If there was one thing he was good at, it was staying in the background. Although the conversation had seemed rather familiar at first, it also seemed tense to him. Became more heated. Until Sirius finally did what he did best: Running off.

Regulus didn't dare to move. He could hear his brother's footsteps moving away from him. At the same time, however, the clacking of high heels approached him. He barely had time to react before Camilla was standing in front of him. She looked distracted and her mouth was slightly open as she looked at him in surprise. "Regulus," she breathed in amazement.

He swallowed and tightened his posture. He finally wanted to stand up for himself. Regulus didn't know what had brought him to this unreasonable idea so suddenly. Perhaps it was the burning jealousy in his heart. "You and Sirius seem to be getting along better again," he managed to get out.

The furrow between Camille's eyebrows deepened. "I haven't the faintest clue what leads you to this assumption," she replied hesitantly. The blonde looked around briefly, realised that they were alone and then wanted to reach for his hand. But Regulus pulled his away. "With Sirius, you don't check to see if anyone's around," he noted.

Camille's mouth fell open silently before she said perplexedly, "What do you mean? I really don't know... you think... Sirius and me? Please, Regulus."

"It's not that," he explained. At least not only. Regulus felt his hands clench into fists and wanted to vent his pent-up anger. "Then why don't you want to be seen with me? You keep looking around like we're doing something forbidden."

Camille's mouth opened again, but Regulus wouldn't let her answer. "What... What are we anyway?" he finally asked with all the courage his anger gave him.

"I don't know," Camille admitted and reached for his hands again, which had loosened a little by now. She squeezed it reassuringly and looked deep into his eyes. "I want to be with you Regulus, really, in public. But I want to discuss this with my parents first. I don't want them to find out from anyone else."

Regulus released his fingers from her grip. He never seemed to find it more difficult. "Do you realise the risks I'm taking for you?" he breathed.

Ashamed, Camille looked down. She looked so helpless that Regulus would have liked to take her in his arms and never let go. But he finally wanted something in return. Instead of a warm embrace, a cool draught that had found its way through the walls brushed against his legs. At that moment, it was as quiet as a mouse in the corridor, which seemed as barren as all the others. There was none of the Hogwarts charm to be found in the stairwell or the Great Hall.

"And you don't even need to have a conversation with me in public," Regulus continued unperturbed, as it annoyed him that he wasn't getting an answer. "It didn't bother you before we met, did it?"

"Easy for you to say, Regulus," she hissed suddenly. "It's no disgrace for you to be seen with me. On the contrary, your parents would be proud."

"But it's a disgrace for you," Regulus translated her words and felt the dagger in his heart turn once.

Camille's turquoise eyes widened and she tried to reach for his hands again, but Regulus was quicker and clasped them behind his back. "No," she stammered, "I didn't mean it like that."

"Yes, I think so," Regulus mumbled with a heavy lump in his throat. He couldn't believe what she had just said. He didn't want to. Was this proof that Camille was just like all the other pureblood girls? She only cared about her reputation and standing. He should have realised that when she was against Lorraine and Garreth's relationship. Then he could have saved himself all this circus and concentrated on his grades instead.

Regulus took a deep breath and wished Camille a good night in broad daylight, because he didn't plan to see her again before then.

_________________

How do you like the story so far? 💚

Don't forget to check out the original series Serena Black!

Also if you want you can follow me on Instagram: kimii.sxch ❣️