The lost brother

• Regulus Black •

• Regulus Black •

„All the memories
come back,
but he never does."

Regulus had stared at Sirius in horror at what he had said. They had all stared at him in horror, including their parents who had been standing at the door, obviously listening to every word. Threateningly, Walburga and Orion Black stood up in front of their eldest son and at that moment it seemed as if they had lost all patience.

"No, the only ones who will die are you. Your blind fanaticism will bring you to your grave one day. You have no one, I have true friends, a real family."

The words echoed in Regulus' head. Sirius had long since stopped calling him his brother, for he had long since replaced him. The certainty made his fingertips go numb, as did his thoughts, and so he didn't even flinch when his father slapped the older boy so hard his cheeks turned red.

Sirius stormed out of the room, his raging mother following behind. The latter was shouting so loudly, despite the guests, that they could hear every word clearly in the drawing room. "YOU CALL THESE FREAKS YOUR FAMILY?"

There was no reply to this, only the sound of rumbling footsteps could be heard. "You are not going anywhere! You stay here and you listen to me!"

Regulus, meanwhile, avoided his cousins' glances, especially Narcissa's. He didn't want to see what disappointment would lie in that one, for he knew how much she had wanted a quiet evening. How on earth had he thought Sirius would stick to that? His grey eyes lingered instead on the black grand piano that stood polished to a high sheen in the middle of the drawing room. He was pretty sure he had never heard any of his family members play it before.

He tried to cling to this petty thought, for it kept him busy from the cruel words exchanged in the doorway.

"Your father and I are disappointed, no we are ashamed, that a child of ours could go astray like this! You have dragged the honour of the Blacks in the mud! You are friends with blood traitors, half-breeds and mudbloods! You should be ashamed of yourself! We have tolerated this for far too long."

"Stop insulting my friends!" it shouted back thunderously, causing the plaster to crackle off the walls and Narcissa's petite body to visibly shudder.

"You are an embarrassment to us all, with your useless frie-"

"Stop it! My friends are better than you'll ever be!"

Regulus closed his grey eyes, expecting disaster. He could see in his mind's eye his mother's face contorted with rage and the anger in his brother's eyes. But were they still? After all, he himself had said that he now had a new family. New brothers.