Self-digged graves

• Regulus Black •

• Regulus Black •

„You were the perfectly told story
that was never written."

Regulus did not know whether he should like being back home at Grimmauld Place. It wasn't that he didn't feel comfortable; on the contrary, this was his usual environment. However, the constant, heated arguments between Sirius and his mother reminded the young Black again and again how broken his family was.

When he had entered his room again after months, it seemed as if he had never been away. The thick, gold-embossed copies on lunar studies, in which Regulus had read with fascination throughout the summer holidays, had always lain untouched beside his bed. Only the thin layer of dust on the cover of the top copy suggested his absence.

Sirius, too, had barricaded himself in his room, as he had done during the holidays before, and didn't seem to feel the slightest need to spend time with him or the rest of the traditional family. At these moments, the Blacks' home was eerily quiet. So quiet in comparison to the thunderstorm that would follow as soon as his brother decided to leave the room and run into one of his parents.

Regulus enjoyed the silence, but at the same time a part of him could no longer bear it. Indecisively, he let his grey eyes wander over the silver-green Slytherin banners he had hung up in the small room before they lingered on the family crest above his bed.

Toujours pur.

That was his family indeed; always clean, always unsullied. A motto he had had drilled into him from an early age and did not aspire to break. Not like Andromeda, who had taken the Muggle-born Ted Tonks as her husband and had inevitably been an example to Sirius. For she had done what his brother thought was right today.

For Sirius seemed to think nothing of the marriages that parents made for their children in order to preserve the purity of the blood or even to raise their status. According to him, everyone should marry the person they loved. Irrespective of blood status, position of power or money, and not solely because of the family's pure-blood craze. If he had his way, parents had no say in such things.

Regulus didn't quite know what to make of it. He certainly didn't want to spend his life with someone he could barely stand either. But his cousin Narcissa and Camille's brother Lucius were probably the perfect example that both was possible. Loving someone and making the family proud at the same time.

The young Black had meanwhile settled down at his desk and folded his hands together. His fair skin shone as bright as ivory in the dim light, while his grey eyes were fixed out of the high room window. No.12 Grimmauld Place lay in the shadows of dusk and night was just wrapping its dark blue veil around London.