Tempest of Books: Unraveling Sisterhood

Start from the beginning

"Margaret, listen to me. This is not your fault." If she didn't know better she would swear that Jaspers abilities could work over the phone. Somehow he always knew what to say to make her feel better. But her heart still felt heavy inside her chest.

"I just- I cannot stand the possibility of any of you being endangered, and Alice's vision..." She could feel a headache forming behind her eyes, and she pinched the bridge of her nose trying to relieve the pain.

"You know Alice's visions change with the decision of the person, if she had changed her mind we would've known. There was nothing you could do, so don't beat yourself because of this. We'll be okay."

"I wish you were here." Her arms wrapped around herself, imagining they were his. She wouldn't be able to bear it if Bella did fulfill the vision Alice had of her, and she had to do something about it.

"I'm on my way right now." The smile that had formed on her lips remained even after they hanged up. Bella was still trashing the bookstore inside, the poor owner following her and trying to organize the books behind her.

Along with all the noise being made inside the bell rang as Margaret entered the bookstore again, being slapped in the face with the smell of old books, coffee and wax.

"What are you doing! Could you help?" Bella's hysteric shouts seemed to bounce off of her now that she knew Jasper was on his way, and with that she gained courage.

"I think you're taking this all too far." She answered, picking books alongside the store owner. Inside the tornado of emotions and destruction Bella's eyes fired against hers.

"What did you say?" In moments like this Margaret forgot that Bella wasn't just her little sister who lived in Arizona with her absent mother, no. She was her bitchy twin sister who was only younger by a few seconds, even if, sometimes, they seemed like years.

"I said that this is the stupidest thing ever." The book in her hand was slammed onto the table in front of her. "Honestly at first I didn't mind it I thought it was just fangirl stuff, but this is just-" A pause, but her courage didn't waver. "It's embarrassing at this point, Bella."

"I'm doing this for you, I'm telling you there is something wrong with them." This was the last nerve for Margaret, guilt tripping, manipulation... She had experienced all this from her mother, both towards her father and herself, now her own sister? Seems like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

"I thought you liked them! Geez I thought you hated me because I was dating Jasper!" She tried to lower the volume as she caught the glimpse of the store owner overhearing their conversation. In Margaret's mind there was no doubt he was going to tell everyone in the Reservation that same night.

"I don't hate you, I despise you. You always get everything. No, not only you get everything, you have to get the best stuff."

"What are you on about? You got a car just from coming to live with dad! Mom got you the best phone you could ask for years before I even began asking for one. You have a freaking TV in your room and you go on vacation at least twice a year. How is your life so depressing that you feel the need to hate me for what I have?" Maggie had been waiting for this day longer than she realized. She had always wanted to know why her twin sister resented her so much, but now, she didn't know what to do or think.

"The things you have are the things that bother me. Because no matter how much I try, I'll never be able to have them, no amount of money can buy them. People like you, and boys practically bend over backwards for whatever you want. You're cheer captain- I mean, you're the living breathing representation of a fucking cliché. You disgust me, and at the same time, I hate you so much because I wanted to be like you." For a split second Maggie felt the tenderness of the moment, even if jealousy wasn't a good enough excuse to forgive and forget this. She was her older sister - even if it was by scarce minutes - she was supposed to care for her, love her and protect her. Was this another one of her manipulation tricks? Was she falling into her trap? Margaret couldn't tell anymore. "Everyone has always chosen you first. But in the end, they'll choose me, because you have learnt to pleas everyone around you, and I have learnt to survive." With that she pushed past Bella and started looking for the book again.

"Bella stop this." Her sister didn't even twitch. "Can you forget about that damned book for a minute and talk to me?"

"I don't give a shit about the lame ass 'You're perfect just the way you are' speeches. So you can shove ur sisterly TED talk up your ass and leave me the fuck alone." The comments made her freeze in her place, slowly swallowing her words like large pills with an odd aftertaste.

"Well i'm not going to stay here one minute more and watch you descend into craziness." Bella was still fumbling with pages and books, the owner was nowhere to see, probably because no one wanted to get too close to her sister in such a state.

"You still have to drive me though." For a second she thought of leaving her behind, but still she couldn't bring herself forward to do it. She couldn't just leave her sister to walk back in the dark, even if they had just been arguing harder than ever. So she simply told her she'd be waiting by the car.