Chapter 6

Blake

I got home to find my dad passed out on the couch, which was a regular thing for him since Mom passed away last year. I know he's grieving still because I am, too. She was the glue that held our family together. Dad started drinking after the funeral to numb the pain, but it amplified his anger instead. His anger needed an outlet that usually landed on me. Either something didn't go his way, or he was consumed by so much grief and anger. I went to the kitchen to see if there was anything to fix for dinner. We didn't have much food in the house because he spent the money on his alcohol. I glanced over at my dad, who was passed out on the couch, wondering how long he had been there and if he would wake up soon. I walked into the kitchen, beer bottles strung all over the counters. I started cleaning up the bottles and throwing them in the trash. Once I cleaned all the bottles up, the kitchen looked halfway decent. I opened the fridge to find it full of beer and no food. I closed the door, grabbed my phone from my pocket, and texted Hunter to ask if I could come for dinner. Hunter was the only one who knew how things were at my house. He texted back within minutes, telling me to come over. 

I walked down the hall, peeking in the living room to find the couch empty. I grabbed my backpack, reached for the front door, and froze with my hand inches from it. "Where the hell do you think you're going?" Dad asked, halfway slurring his words. 

I stood there for a second, debating, running out the door, and never looking back. I glanced over my shoulder, moving my hand closer to the door. " Hunter invited me over for dinner and to work on our homework." I opened the door. "I won't be gone long." I hurried out the door and out to my car. I stared at the front door while fumbling the keys in my hand, trying to unlock it before he flew out of the house. I managed to steady my hands long enough to hit the key fob and jumped in. I knew what would be waiting for me when I got back home later, but at least I'd have a full stomach and not have to go to bed hungry. 

Hunter answered the door with worry in his eyes. "You okay, man?" he whispered as I walked into the house. I shook my head, walking into their living room, where Hunter usually played video games. His parents usually hung out in the family room off the kitchen. 

"You know you can always stay here." He walked over and sat on the left side of the couch, grabbing his controller from the middle cushion. I set my backpack next to the couch, walked over, and grabbed a controller off the charging stand. I sat on the other end of the couch and turned on the controller. "Blake, you don't have to stay in that kind of situation. Mom and Dad both said you could come live here. You're more than just my best friend. You're like a brother to me." He glanced over at me, then returned his attention to the zombie game we started. 

"Thanks." I kept my eyes on the game. 

"Boys time to eat. We're having baked chicken, mashed potatoes, and roasted veggies. I made extra for you to take home, Blake. Hide it in a drawer so your father doesn't find it," Hunter's mom said, turning to walk out of the living room. 

"I would sneak it in your backpack, and when he's passed out, hide it in the refrigerator." Hunter set the controller on the middle cushion between us. "Come on, let's go eat. I'm hungry." He patted me on the back as he rounded the couch. Hungry. I don't think Hunter knew what it was really like to be hungry. The weekends were the worst. Hunter tried to invite me over almost every weekend, but I felt like I was always intruding, so I would decline the invitation and try to find food somewhere. A lot of the time, I'd have to wait until Monday to get food at school at lunch. The ladies in the cafeteria must have known because they would give me extra food on my tray, smiling. Others tried to get additional food and were greeted with scowls, telling them to go sit down. 

"Hey, come on. Let's go before Mom comes searching for us." 

I glanced over my shoulder as I got up off the couch. "Yeah." I smiled, following Hunter out of the living room. I walked into the kitchen, and the aroma of smokiness from the chicken filled the room. I inhaled, letting it tickle my senses, knowing that dinner would be amazing. The smell also brought back memories of Mom cooking in the kitchen, waiting for Dad to get home from work, and how I missed those days. 

Hunter was the only one of my friends who knew how bad things had gotten at home after Mom's death. Elias knew a few things but didn't know the whole picture. I didn't want pity, but I needed to be able to talk to someone. Hunter and I have been friends since grade school, so he knew how things used to be years ago. 

I eased the front door open, praying he had already made it upstairs. The second my backpack dropped to the floor, my body slammed against the door. 

"Where the hell have you been?" The alcohol from my father's breath was enough to give a person a buzz. "Well!" He shoved me again. 

I straightened myself up again, planting my feet. "I was over at Hunter's house. I told you earlier when I left where I was going and that I wouldn't be out late." 

"You never told me anything." He stumbled backward a few steps, spilling a few drops of his beer while trying to recover his balance. "I should knock your ass out." He stumbled again, taking a drink of his beer. I managed to move past him when he was trying to keep his balance again. I slung my backpack onto my shoulder and headed to my room. I just had to remember to hide the food in the refrigerator once he decided to go to bed for the night. 

The next morning, I heard Dad open and close the front door. I jumped out of bed and peeked out my blinds, making sure he got in his car to leave for work. He opened his car door and got into the driver's seat. He backed out of the driveway and drove down the road. I hurried up and jumped in the shower so I could get something for breakfast before school. I had a little money saved from a previous job and the money my grandparents on my mom's side sent me. 

Before leaving the house, I made sure my dinner was still hidden in the bottom of the refrigerator for tonight. I closed the refrigerator door and headed for the front door, praying Dad didn't turn around and come back. I opened the door, and a huge sigh of relief escaped my lips when I saw my car was the only one in the driveway. I couldn't help but smile despite my horrible home life; I knew I'd get to see Tabitha again.