Chapter 15

"Stop!" she shouted, her voice ringing out in the corridor's silence. "Don't move!"

But it was too late. Before she could react, one of the survivors stumbled forward, his foot catching on the tripwire with a sickening snap. The trap was triggered instantly, unleashing a barrage of deadly projectiles that rained down upon them with lethal force.

Brea watched in horror as several of the survivors were struck down, their bodies torn apart by the relentless onslaught. The air was filled with screams of pain and anguish, a cacophony of terror that echoed through the corridor.

The sickening sound of bones snapping and flesh tearing filled the air, accompanied by the agonized screams of those caught in the trap's deadly embrace. Brea's mind raced with a primal instinct to survive, her every fibre urging her to flee from the impending doom.

But amidst the chaos, a single thought pierced through the din of terror—the boy. With determination, Brea's instincts kicked into overdrive as she lunged forward, her body moving on sheer instinct.

"Fuck!" Alex cursed, hiding far away from the trap and other lucky survivors.

With a swift, fluid motion, she reached out and pulled the child out of harm's way, her arms wrapping protectively around him as she shielded him from the onslaught of projectiles. The air crackled with tension as the deadly barrage rained down in front of them, but Brea remained steadfast in her resolve to keep the child safe.

"Stay close!" she shouted over the din, her voice strained with urgency as she ushered the child to safety behind a nearby barricade.

The child nodded in silent agreement, his eyes wide with fear as he clung to Brea's side. Together, they huddled behind the makeshift barrier, their hearts pounding in unison as they braced themselves for whatever horrors lay ahead.

As the trap's fury subsided and the corridor fell silent again, Brea spared a moment to catch her breath, her chest heaving with exertion. But there was no time to dwell on their witnessed horrors. They needed to find a way to escape before it was too late.

As the survivors regrouped and tended to the wounded, Brea's mind churned with thoughts of their next move. The exit door of Area 4 loomed tantalizingly close, but they would need to tread carefully to avoid falling victim to the same deadly trap.

"We need to do something, Brea," Alex urged, his voice tinged with urgency as he moved closer to her side. "We can't just stand here and wait."

Brea nodded in agreement, her determination flickering amidst the chaos of their situation.

"Stay here," she urged, her voice urgent as she crouched beside him, her eyes scanning the corridor for any sign of danger. "Don't move, no matter what happens."

The child nodded, his expression a mixture of fear and gratitude as he huddled close to Brea's side, seeking refuge in her protective embrace. With a grim determination, Brea turned her attention back to the trap, her mind racing as she searched for a way to stop it before more lives were lost.

"Alex, we need to find the source of the trap," she called out, her voice tinged with urgency as she scanned the corridor for any sign of the mechanism's activation. "Look for wires or triggers—anything that might give us a clue."

Together, they began to comb the area, their movements quick and precise as they searched for the trap's hidden mechanism. The air was thick with tension as they worked, each moment fraught with the possibility of another deadly onslaught.

Suddenly, Brea's eyes caught sight of a thin wire snaking along the ground, its metallic sheen glinting in the dim light of the corridor. With a surge of adrenaline, Brea leapt into action, her laser baton crackling with energy as she sought out the source of the trap. With each strike against the corridor floor, she unleashed a resounding BAM...BAM...BAM, the sound is echoing through the chaos of the corridor.