Chapter 5| Grades

"I had to put my grades up for adoption because I just couldn't raise them."

A M A I R A

A M A I R A

5 years ago

(TW: Claustrophobia/ Nyctophobia)

"Amaira , you were supposed to get your math exam results today. What did you get?" Mum adjusts her glasses on her sharp nose , exactly opposite to my soft button nose. I sniff a little before handing her my final paper of 9th grade. It was mathematics, so obviously I did not score well. Math was not for me. I understood that at a very young age. My interest areas lie more in arts and literature.

She eyes me cautiously before snatching the paper.

I got a 70/100 which in theory is not that bad. It's math for fuck's sake , people. I might as well say it was okay. But not according to mum.

She clenches her jaw and I know it's coming.

"This is so average, Amaira." She points out the obvious.

It's average, I know. But the problem was that I didn't like being average. It was embarrassing.

Nobody liked average students.

Especially not mum.

She inhales a deep breath before slamming the paper back on the table.

I flinch a little and small tears started to form under my eyes. I blink them away.

"Are you so stupid, Ari? Why can't you just study and score well in exams? That's all we ask of you and you can't even do that. Such a waste." She nods along with my dad who is sitting beside her. He nods although his eyes has that sympathy for me.

It's always been like this. Mum will scold me and he will go along with her but I somehow knew that he didn't think that way of me. That somewhere deep inside his heart he loved me and he was proud of me. He just loved my mum more so he continued to agree with her.

I keep my eyes downcast and wipe my nose. I am pretty sure my nose piercing is turning red right now. I recently got it done. It was my first ever rebel move and frankly it felt fucking awesome to not give a damn about what my parents would say. I went to the shop with Shanaya , my sister and we got it done.

Mom was furious and it might make me a bitch to say this but her reaction just made all the pain worth it. Dad was neutral, as always. He wasn't pleased but he didn't hate it I guess. He even gave me a new gold nose ring to match so I say it was a win.