2 ~ stranger danger

Start from the beginning

I bite the inside of my mouth. This is a bad idea. Following Jessica all over town—even conversing with this girl at the beach—was a very bad idea. 

At the moment, I still don't know if I'm being monitored. I don't know if Jessica is actually the innocent, friendly girl she appears to be.

In all honesty, she probably isn't.

I have no reason to trust her. 

But something about her... something about her bright smile, her sparkling hazel eyes... it screams normalcy. I feel close to her, though I don't know her. 

So I leave my bike against the fence and step inside the house. 

Instantly, I feel like I've been through a time machine. Black and white photos, gold-created picture frames, floral wallpaper, velvet carpets. 

"Oh, Jessica. How nice to see you. What's inspired this impromptu visit, darling?" A warm, light voice asks from down the hallway. 

I pick up my pace and enter the kitchen, which matches the same old aesthetic flowing throughout the home. 

Jessica's grandmother stands at the counter, kneading dough. She wears a beige apron, and her curly gray hair is put into a messy bun. 

"Nana, I brought a friend. Here's Lacy. Lacy, this is my Nana," Jessica explains cheerfully, jumping onto a stool. The pats the one next to her. 

The woman's head whips up at the mention of me. She spins around, and takes in a soft breath. I glance around, trying to avoid her intense gaze. 

"Ah, Lacy..." She begins, hesitant. "Nice to meet you. Call me Nellie." She flashes me a tight smile, suspicion floating in her eyes. 

I frown at the tense air floating between Nellie and me. Jessica is blissfully unaware, swinging her legs and humming a tune while eating an apple. 

"Nice to meet you..." 

Jessica waves me over, and I sit beside her on the stool. "Lacy is new to town, Nana. I gave her the special, all-inclusive tour." 

Nellie nods, kneading whilst listening to her granddaughter. She keeps sending me glances, her gaze intense and critical. 

"How old are you, Lacy?" 

"I'm fourteen," I reply. What does it matter if she knows my age? Everyone I'm trying to avoid already knows everything about me. 

My heart brightens. Maybe this means they are good people after all. But, then again... they could be trying to throw me off. 

I really should leave, but it's so cozy here. 

Nellie smiles slightly. "I see. Same age as my Jessica. Where are you living with your family? I don't recall any homes for sale." 

My tone falters. "My new foster parents." 

Both Jessica and Nellie stare at me. Jessica's mouth is open slightly, but she quickly closes it and swallows. 

"I see." Nellie has lost the edge in her voice, replaced by something more sympathetic-sounding. "Might I ask you they are?" 

I pause. "The Johnsons." 

The door opens as I say that, and I hear the familiar voice of Celia. "Nellie? Are you in the kitchen?" She calls out. 

All of us turn as she enters, Dylan and Penny in tow. Celia's eyes widen when she sees me, her expression filled of surprise, but she quickly masks it. 

"Darling Lacy. I see you've met one of my best friends, and her granddaughter. She's practically the town's mother." 

I nod, feeling somewhat like I've stepped into a conversation that I should not have been involved in, even though I was here before she was. 

"Jessica, why don't you take Lacy down the path back to the ocean? The sunset is beautiful at this time," Celia suggests with a soft smile. 

With a quick reply, I'm whisked out of the kitchen by Jessica. We walk to the back of the house in silence for a few minutes. 

Once we exit through the back door, Jessica says, "Sorry that was so awkward." 

"Everyone seems weird when I'm around." 

She glances at me. "There's a picture of a toddler, in our living room. Blonde hair, blue eyes... just like you. Angel child." 

My attention spikes. "Really?" 

Jessica nods. "Mhm. Nana said the girl had an unfortunate end, never asked again," She turns to me with a smile. "Maybe you're the girl reincarnated." 

I raise an eyebrow. "I hope not." 

She shrugs with a smile. We walk down to the edge of the water, standing on the rocks and watching the orange sun slowly fall behind the ocean. 

The skin on my neck prickles. I gasp and look around, feeling sweat on my forward though the weather is cool. In the distance, I see a shadow of a man for a split second before he disappears. 

"Lacy? You okay?" 

I force a smile. "Yep." 

———

Hey, loves! 

What are your thoughts on Jessica and Nellie? 

Do you think they'll be important later on? 

Who was the man watching her? 

Vote and comment <3 

Au revoir, 

Eva