Chapter 5 - Actions Speak Louder Than Words

The whole scene was just a blur of blades, blood, and black as the man in the mask who crashed through the now smashed window held two twin daggers in his hands, slicing the necks of the two guards who tied me to the door and engaged in a swift battle of fury with Reiner. Although Reiner was powerful, the masked man was quick and agile. Everytime Reiner would go in for the attack the man would somersault over his head and go for another slash in a different parts of his body. Reiner became exhausted and the man took the opportunity to take his two blades to his throat.

"You know... you can't kill me..." He said through coughs of his own blood.

"Wanna bet!" The man mumbled through his mask as he took off the thug's head completely sending it rolling towards my position leaving a messy path of thin entrails. The smell was revolting, like how you would imagine the battlefield of a thousand dying soldiers to smell like. A suffocating scent of salt and old rustic metal.

The masked man came up to me and wiped the blood splatter from my quivering jaw before pulling the hefty lock effortlessly, breaking it open and releasing me. I collapsed to the blood filled floor unable to fully process what had just happened.

"Get up we don't have much time someone's going to catch you." The man who broke through the window demanded as he came down to my level. I backed away against the corner. tripping over a chair behind me in the process. I forgot that the gag was still set in between my teeth as I attempted to scream for help. His eyes, they were that same violet. What were these people? What did they want?

"Hey, calm down! I'm not going to hurt you." He stammered removing his mask from his mouth so that he could be heard properly. I took this as a gesture of trust and I let myself settle a little but still tensed as he removed the gag. I maneuvered my jaw to ease the numbing dirty scent that was plastered in my mouth. A hint of nausea overcame me. For the second time that week I let the contents flow out of my stomach to add to the rotting stench. All that came was stomach acid and dry heaving with nothing more in my system to eject. The man in the mask didn't seem to care and judging by the expression on his face I assumed he'd seen worse. I could hear footsteps coming from outside the room of death and at full tilt dashed around for find a place to hide.

"Shit." The man who saved me exclaimed as he hoisted me bridal style and ran to the storage room connected to the office. He moved so fast that my head started to spin causing me to dry heave again. He put me down and held a finger to his lips signalling me to quell my seethe. The room was small, dark and damp and smelt of all old moth balls but that was the least of my worries. I heard a women open the office door and hurl an ear-piercing shriek at the room, followed heavy footsteps and the ring of the panic alarm. From outside the storage door, panicked chatter from the hallways erupted. The man grabbed my cut wrists from the shackles and cursed under his breath.

"This may hurt a little." He ripped open my shirt and lifted my pants so that he could see the two stab wounds where Reiner had thrown the knives. Through the chaos I forgot about the throbbing sensation of torment of my shoulder, wrists and thigh. He started mumbling in an incoherent language with his hand over my shoulder. The words were soothing like a lullaby and I felt myself drifting into a peaceful trance. It ended as fast it came when I felt an unbearable sting come from the wounds and bit my lip so I wouldn't scream out in agony. When his inhuman chanting finished I felt numb. I couldn't feel my shoulder or my thigh but the bleeding had stopped and it had already scabbed over. Did he do that? My wrists also had closed up and no more blood was gushing through them. The cuts were camouflaged within the old scars that were there like nothing ever happened. The events were getting crazier and crazier with each day. The man opened the door silently to make sure no one was there then flung it open when he concluded the coast was clear.