7. Interrogation and Meeting

Third Person's POV

A woman in her 40s entered the corridor in her apron, her chocolate brown hair in a ponytail as she smiled at Hoshiko. Her warm brown eyes glinting with happiness. "Welcome home my little fairy" she said with a smile. She saw Hoshiko drop her bag near the entrance before she rushed to hug her.

Hoshiko's POV

"Mom..." I mumbled under my breath. I left my bag on the floor as I rushed and hugged her. "My my, this excited to see me? I also missed you a lot my little star fairy" Mum said as she hugged me back and then squished my cheeks. "Look at you... you seem really thin" My mother said in a concerned voice, making me put my hands on top of hers. "Mom... I'm fine but what about you? You didn't tell me you were getting discharged today... I-I would have come then and why are y-you working? Please rest Mum" I said as I tugged her to the living room and made her sit on the couch. "Not you too... My colleagues were literally droning on and on... Like can't they trust me? I'm also an adult" Mom said while huffing slightly. I sighed. Though she looked irritated, I could see that she was also saying this playfully as her colleagues said that all for her sake, having worked with her for the past 18 years. 

"Mom... you know why, don't you. You continue overworking a-and your a-anaemia and other conditions act up so they have t-to be careful regarding that. Now, rest, please Mom" I said while holding her hands tightly. "F-Fine... don't look at me with those eyes otherwise I will feel really guilty," Mom said as she looked away slightly, till her eyes fell on Dad's picture. I heard her take a deep breath as she pulled me to her side and hugged me tight. "Sorry Miku.... Mom will try her best to take care of herself, ok?". "Ok Mom" I smiled softly, before adding, "but... that means no going out as g-guest lecturer for a few weeks, otherwise I will tell Harumi Oba-san," I said, feeling Mom stiffen upon mentioning my maternal aunt, that is her elder sister. "Miku, anyone but her, otherwise you know that she will complain about this to your Ojii-san and then...." Mom sighed. "Fine, I won't. My colleagues said that they will try their best to manage most of the patients I was supposed to so that means I will be left alone while you would be away at school..."

Third Person's POV

"Mum...-" "I know, I know, my baby is no longer little now and has grown almost into a young woman" she sighed. "Are you still fixated on the part-time job?" she asked Miku, who slowly nodded. "I got o-one at a cafe/bakery. I-It's within a 5-minute distance from here" Miku replied. Her mom nodded "Naruhodo naruhodo.... I guess that's fine. Any school clubs? New friends? What about...." Like this, the conversation (more like friendly interrogation) continued for a long time till it was bedtime. 

(Time skip)

The weekend had ended and it was Monday again. Hoshiko had quite an eventful weekend with introducing a new friend to her mother, teaching Chibana (while trying her best not to get sidetracked while chatting), going to the cafe to confirm her shifts, finishing up her work for next week and mentally preparing herself for going to the Volleyball Club Gym. 

She was on her way to school in a pair of track pants and her Middle School tracksuit jacket, at around 7:00 AM. 20 minutes later, she reached the school and soon was in front of the doors, from where she could hear the noise of volleyballs smacking the floors, walls or arms and the squeaking of shoes behind the doors, hesitant to walk in when she heard a familiar voice behind her. "Is that you Hoshiko?". She turned around and saw Shimizu, dressed in the club's tracksuit set. "Y-Yes. I'm sorry d-didn't know if I should enter now..." she said, quite nervous. Shimizu placed a hand on her shoulder. "It's fine. I'll just inform them once again as I thought you would I come after school but this is also fine" she said as she headed inside the gym after giving Hoshiko a small smile, leaving her at the entrance of the gym. She could hear a commotion for some time before it quietened a little after what seemed like a loud shout and Shimizu stepped out slightly. 

"Please come in now just...." she went near her ear and whispered, "some of them might cause a lot of ruckus at first so please don't mind it. Though rumbustious, they are quite the jolly and hardworking bunch and I hope you will end up liking the club," she said with a soft smile. Hoshiko nodded and then headed inside, breathing in the familiar scent of a volleyball gym before she realised that a number of eyes were focused on her. She saw a bald boy and a short, gelled-haired one, the one who had lent her the popsicle stick that time looked as if they got some kind of elixir. "Noya..." the bald one spoke up. "Yes Ryu...." the shorter boy spoke, before both of them burst out saying together "We will have two Goddesses in our team" and soon were almost going to jump towards her before they were stopped by a grey-haired boy who stopped them by grabbing their collars. "We talked about this both of you! You will end up scaring her"  he said with a sigh. She soon saw 2 sets of familiar eyes. 

"Yamaguchi-san? T-Tsukishima-san?" she said in a slightly surprised voice but soon she composed herself when she realised that for their height, playing volleyball shouldn't be surprising. "Oh... Hoshiko-san, so this is the club you were talking about yesterday-" "Hey! How do you know her?!" "Yeah!! How do you both know this beautiful girl!?" the loud second-years bellowed, making Hoshiko slightly flustered. "W-We happen to be in the same class a-and I-I'm Hoshiko Miku. N-Nice to meet you all!" she said as she bowed to an almost 90 degree, causing the loud second years to mumble something like 'lucky bastards' which got them a glare from a short brown-haired boy and the grey-haired one. "I-It's fine Hoshiko, you don't have to bow like that. Well, let us all introduce ourselves. Everyone, line up!" the short brown-haired boy said and the club began to form a line to introduce themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glossary:- 

Ano- 'Umm' in Japanese

Naruhodo- 'I see' in Japanese

Ojii-san- Grandfather