Chapter 19: Victor Warrick

We quickly turned back around the corner looking for a way to access the ventilation system. I need to know how my dad knows Victor, and what they are up to. We run back down the corridor and along the way we come across a hidden locked door in line with the wall, it looked like an electronic lock system off to the side of the door. 

"Josie can we get into here?" I ask. 

"Yeah shouldn't be a problem at all," Josie said.

Josie begins to use her hacking skills to try and crack the lock, but seems to be hitting a brick wall as it is not as easy as she anticipated. After several tries the lock suddenly starts blaring a loud high pitch alarm and inserts several virus's into its system effectively locking Josie out. 

" Fuck, this may take a little longer than I thought it would," Josie said.

"Ummm, might want to hurry up with that, because we have company... a lot of company," Ava says peering around the corner.

A dozen cyber soldiers start marching in our direction arming their mini guns with the intent to kill the current threat, that being us. I look back at Josie and see she's almost through, if we can just slip inside maybe we'll survive. Just as I breathe a sigh of relief bullets start flying at me narrowly missing my head, I duck down for cover and watch as the maniac in front of me also known as Ava starts screaming like a banshee while unloading her gun at the cyber soldiers. She manages to actually hit one of them, killing them instantly, however the rest of them now seemed really pissed off.

"Ava, get the fuck out of the way!" I said.

But before Ava can answer Josie yells out that she cracked the lock and opens the door.

"Ava, hurry up and get inside before you die," I said.

"Jeez, calm down, its not like I haven't done this before" Ava says rolling her eyes at me while I stare at her wide eyed as bullets continue to fly past her head.

"AVA, GET THE FUCK INSIDE, NOW!" Josie and I both shout.

Ava finally listens and runs inside the supply closet followed by Josie and myself, we close the door and Ava shuts off the power locking us inside. I turn on my torch and shine it around the room trying to find a way out, we may be safe from them but we are also locked in here and if we cant find a way out we will die. Josie nudges me in the shoulder and points up, I shine my torch towards the ceiling and find a metal grate that looks like it should lead us into the ventilation system. 

Ava climbs onto Josie's shoulders pulling the grate down with such force she nearly drops it on Josie's head. Josie then shoves Ava up into the grate rather aggressively before telling me to climb onto her shoulders next. I stand on a chair to give me more height before climbing up onto her shoulders, I start to lose my balance and Josie says.

"Daniel, wrap your legs around my head or you'll fall" Josie 

I blush at her words, not realising that she is currently looking up at me with a death glare telling me that i'm heavy and to hurry up. After i'm up in the ventilation system Ava and I both reach down to pull Josie up and we start our journey in the direction I last saw my father.

Shortly after crawling our way down the ventilation system, we see a source of light up ahead coming from a metal grate facing down on a room that resembles the same room my dad and Victor disappeared into before the metal doors shut on us. I press my face up to the metal grate and look down in shock at the sight of my dad's mutilated, bruised and beaten corpse left tied up in a mental patient looking chair. My dad is dead... and not only that, he was fucking brutally murdered too! Before I'm about to lose it and jump down through the grate to go berserk, Ava and Josie pull me back. 

"What are you doing? You stupid or something?" Ava shouted at me. 

"Ava, really? He just lost his dad, try to be a little more understanding," Josie said. 

"Understanding? I didn't have time for that when I was younger and  I ended up growing up because of it," Ava said. 

I quickly pull free from Ava and Josie's grip and jump down through the metal grate into the room below with my dad's corpse, not thinking about how I was supposed to break my fall on the way down.