Step Six: (Accidentally) Avoid Her

I don't see Angie the rest of the day, not in first period, not even second, in which we share a class, as she never approaches me and I'm too scared to see. I don't see her in third or even at lunch! I don't see her even yet, now, in fifth period, where I sit at my table, as the other boys talk about their latest schemes of chaos.

Yet, all that seems to be on my mind is her. Angelica.

Angelica, that is, who has that sparkling smile, and that gleaming twinkle in her eyes when she laughs.

Angelica, the only one whose voice sounds like s'mores and cotton candy and milkshakes all mixed up and blended into a sweet, sugary cream.

Angelica, who (I must now admit,) I have fallen completely, head over heels in love with.

Jameson taps me on the shoulder. "Dude, you good? You seem like, completely out-of-it." he asks. One of his friends (obviously not mine,) grunts, waving his hand in a 'crazy' motion around his ear, then saying, "I bet it was that girl he's going after. He does realize he has to break up with her soon, right?" he snorts, and my mouth twists into a scowl.

"We aren't dating." I say in a way that I didn't even know was possible, controlling the entire room with three, quick, anger-fueled words.

"Woah, easy there, you didn't need to lash out like a monster!" he accuses, then acts the role of a scary beast, when the math teacher yells out, "Sit down you two!" at him and his friend--Bryan, I think his name was--who had gotten up with him and joined in with the mocking.

The rest of class was, besides having to drown out our teacher's chalk as it skidded onto the board, was quiet.

I didn't see Angelica this day.

When I checked my phone, no new messages had popped up, at least not from her.

The next day, I forced myself to look at her desk in second period. She wasn't there.

After class, I approached one of her friends, Violet, and asked her where Angelica was. She turned to me, tears in her eyes, and said, "Angie's sick! She was in a coma the other day!!"

My heart broke, not for Violet, but for myself.

Was my only chance at telling Angelica how I felt about her gone? Had it flown away like a bird readying winter? I didn't know, nor do I now. I wrote about it in English later that day, as we were working on poetry. It was haiku's today, so I worked on one for Angel. Multiple, actually.

My Dearest Angel,
Please come back to me, awake
in the morning, please

I scratched that last one. That's so cheesy! I said to myself, and shot the paper into the nearest recycling bin like a basketball. I got up, and grabbed a new paper.

I took on a bet
To date a girl for a week
But now I've fallen

But now I've fallen
The girl to date for a week,
And so has she

Yeah, like the English teacher cares what I write about anyways.

I text her again once I get home, and, finally, get a message back. My eyes light up, but then my face falls when I see it isn't her.

It reads: Idk who you are or why you are texting, but stop it or I'll block you

I quickly think something up. A friend. yk what ER she's at?

No response.

I lie down on my bed, and start to lightly sob. I can't believe I let her go so easily. If only I'd told her everything I was feeling then maybe... maybe she'd feel the same. Maybe none of this would've ever happened.

But... it did.