Step Two: Discretely Ask Her Out

Discretely ask her out so she thinks she's in charge of the relationship.

I waited Angelica the next day by her locker.

"Hey," I said, leaning on the one to the left, letting one heel prop up and my knee jut as my other foot slipped outwards. "So I was thinking," I said, sliding into a more comfortable position, but before I could continued, the Angel muttered something under her breath.

"Hmm?" I asked softly.

"Well," she started.

I almost melted right there. Nothing weird, I swear! I just really like her voice. I'd never really heard her talk before, I mean, we only have one class together, which is English, my lowest subject, and I've only really heard her speaking during attendance.

Describe her voice? Well, it was soft... like cotton candy dissolving on your tongue, but also just so, so easy to listen to, like buttery popcorn. She kind of sounded like she was from the 1940's, about half a century ago.

Angelica cuts off my train of thought. "It's just that I heard you say earlier that thinking wasn't really your style to your friends."

"Well, it isn't, but--" I reach for my neck with one hand. I'm blushing now, I know it. I've made a fool of myself, but I manage to calm down. Everything's fine. I'm cool, I'm one of the cool kids! Chillax! I've got everything under control.

"Anyways," I start over. "I heard you were one of the best kids in our English class. Do you think you could help me? Like... A tutor?"

"Uh, sure! I'll have to ask my dad, but I'll write down my number, if you need it." She responds. I clearly threw her off at first. She wasn't expecting that. She adjusts to new situations rather quickly though. Noted.

"Oh, actually I have mine right here," I hand her a slip of paper and she smiles.

"So your name's Mathew Mark, as in 'Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John, bless the beds that we lay on'?" I flinch.

"Yep! That's why my parents named me that. Well, we better head to class. See you tomorrow?"

"Sure." She replies in that milk chocolate voice of hers.

Tomorrow. I think to myself. I'll see her tomorrow.