Step Seven: Storm To Her House At 3am

I knocked on Angie's door. I was wearing the most feminist outfit I had so as to look as gay as possible, praying he wouldn't recognize me. Granted, gay wasn't exactly a good look either, as this is 1991, but it was better than the alternative.

Her father opened the door, looked at me, and asked, "Hello?"

He didn't seem to recognize me yet, so with the best awkward and shy act I could manage, I looked up, nodding my head inside, and asked, "can I come in?"

"If you're here to study with my daughter, she isn't here."

"That's not it." I say, forgetting my accent and looking at Mr. Grace straight in the eyes. I take off my hat, and say, "it's an emergency. I need to know where she is. Or at least... that she's okay."

"Why wouldn't she be? And even if she weren't," he started, seeming to finally realize who I was. "it wouldn't be any of your business, anyway." he finishes with a cold glare towards me, blocking the entrance.

I hear Angelica's voice--way more horse than normal (I should know, I dream about it everyday)--from upstairs, saying, "Dad, who is it?"

I look from the voice to Mr. Grace, and immediately then push past him and towards Angelica's room.

"Angie?" I call out, running up the steps and to Angelica's room. I open the door and see three medics by her bed, all checking monitors carefully. I lock the door as soon as I enter the room.

"What happened?" I ask, rushing to Angelica's bedside, cupping her face in my hands. Once I check her over, making sure that it's really her, that I'm not just hallucinating, I take my hands away, and grab her delicate hands in my own.