𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

The sun's rays were gone, a victim to the night

The sun's rays were gone, a victim to the night. The moon shone powerfully, peeking from behind a large, puffy cloud. Stars twinkled up above promisingly. Badgertooth was licking his ruffled chest fur at the other side of the clearing after training. "The day's at an end. We should get some rest."

Dovepaw nodded. "All right. Goodnight, Badgertooth." She left the medicine den and limped toward the apprentices' den. She slipped into her nest and curled up, closing her eyes. She couldn't go to sleep, though, because something inside her was telling her to stay awake. Then she remembered. I told Foxclaw I would meet with him again. By the stream. She got up, making sure that she didn't attract attention.

Swerving towards the camp entrance, she pushed through the bramble screen of the den. When she finally escaped the camp's enclosed walls, she raced to the forest, eager to meet with Foxclaw again. Why did he have to leave? I mean, I know he killed Frostfeather and everything, but still . . . Why am I not mad anymore? Why is it like I was never hostile towards him? How did he change my mind? Dovepaw shook the thought away and pushed through the undergrowth.

She stopped when there was rustling in the bushes. The river was just in sight, flowing peacefully downstream. "Who's there?" she whispered. She peeked into the bushes and a mouse almost flew into her face. Weird. She limped down towards the stream. A silhouetted shape of a broad-shouldered cat was visible at the edge of the stream. She trotted towards him. "Hi."

Foxclaw turned around. "Dovepaw, you came. That was early."

Dovepaw sat down beside him and touched his nose with hers in greeting. "Ah, well, everyone was just settling down and I found the chance to go."

"Oh, well that's good." Foxclaw nuzzled her lovingly. "I don't really care why you came so early. I'm just glad you're here."

Dovepaw was overcome by satisfaction. His flank against hers made her feel warm and safe, and all her worries were washed away. "Me too. I'm getting kind of worried because of everything that's going on."

"Oh? What's been going on?" Foxclaw turned his gaze to meet Dovepaw.

"Snowtail got angry at me for bringing Frozenfang into the Clan, so she attacked me, and then she left. Frozenfang and Mousepaw say she joined MoonClan."

"Snowtail attacked you for that? That was almost a moon ago!" Foxclaw exclaimed. "She was so suspicious of Sparrowfeather, and now look at her. She's become what she always despised."

"I know! But it makes sense, considering that she always changes her mind so quickly . . ." Dovepaw trailed off. "It's not my problem anymore, though. I think I'll leave it alone." She pushed against Foxclaw more comfortingly, not wanting to leave.

"Yes, it's better to leave it alone." Dovepaw could feel his warm breath stir her ear fur. "For now, you just let that all go."

Dovepaw nodded, suddenly tired, but in a good way. She closed her eyes and let his soothing scent envelope her. "I wish Lynxstar would let you come back. Then everything would be so much easier."