8. At The Back Hill

Disclaimer: Mo Dao Zu Shi and The Untamed do not belong to me. The settings, characters, and plot belong, respectively, to Mo Xiang Tong Xiu and the screenwriters of The Untamed. Here, only the plot of this fanfiction and my four OCs, Huang Minghui / Lan Minghui, Lan Biyun, Li Xingsi / Wei Xingsi, and Bai Yilian / Nie Yilian, are my creations. And an important reminder that this ISN'T REAL; please value your lives and do not try to get hit by a car to get this sort of adventure.

Lan Minghui immediately relaxed when she saw that it was only Wei Wuxian and Nie Huaisang. Around her, Lan Biyun, Wei Xingsi, and Nie Yilian let out sighs of relief, too.

"A-Jie? Why are you here?" Wei Wuxian asked, sounding like he got caught doing something.

"A-Ying, what are you up to this time?" Wei Xingsi immediately asked suspiciously.

"Uh, nothing, of course!"

Wei Xingsi wasn't having it. "Wei Wuxian, you better tell me what you're up to, or else!"

Nie Huaisang flinched slightly, but Wei Wuxian, who was used to it, rolled his eyes. "Or else what?"

"Or I'm making Jiang Cheng set the dogs on you when we get back to Lotus Pier! So tell me, what are you up to?"

"Wei-xiong got the idea to catch fish in the stream," Nie Huaisang explained.

"Anyway, Jie, you still haven't answered my question. Why are you here with Nie-guniang, Lan-xiaojie, and Lan-er-xiaojie?" Wei Wuxian asked.

"Making friends," Wei Xingsi answered. "You better behave yourself! I know what you're thinking right now!"

Wei Wuxian continued to grin before looking at his sister in a does-it-look-like-I-care way. "Lan-xiaojie, Lan-er-xiaojie, Nie-guniang, did it hurt when the three of you fell from heaven?"

Wei Xingsi was all but pleased. "WEI WUXIAN! WHAT DID I JUST SAY?!"

"Wei-xiong, imagine the consequences when Hanguang-Jun and Zewu-Jun hear you talking about their sisters like that!" Nie Huaisang cried, shuddering. "And Wei-xiong, don't talk to my sister like that! Da-ge's going to have your head if he hears about this."

"Huaisang, you worry too much," Nie Yilian reassured her brother, laughing. "I'm sure Wei-gongzi isn't serious about what he said. Relax!"

"Wei-gongzi, don't say what you don't mean," Lan Minghui said, semi-amused.

He pouted in disappointment. "Aw, you're just like your brother after all. So boring."

"Don't make assumptions of others," Lan Minghui berated. "Wangji is not boring."

"Spend more time with him," Lan Biyun added. "You'll see that he isn't boring."

Trying to get Wangxian together, huh?

Nie Huaisang shuddered again. "Being in the presence of THE Hanguang-Jun is already terrifying enough... Being his friend..."

Feeling a bit frustrated that he and Wei Wuxian kept judging Lan Wangji by his outward presentation of himself, Lan Biyun snapped, "Don't judge a book by its cover."

"Lan-guniang, calm down!" Wei Wuxian quickly said, nervous.

Lan Minghui, also wanting them to get to know Lan Wangji properly, put her two cents in. "Biyun is frustrated that you're assuming what Wangji's like when you barely know him at all. I'm starting to sympathize with her by the second, too. There's lots you don't know about him, for example-"

She quickly cut herself off. Fuck it, why couldn't I just stop at "for example"?

"What?" Wei Wuxian asked, curious.

Smiling a little apologetically, she shook her head. "Wangji wouldn't appreciate me doing such things."

"Lan-guniang, can't you just tell me?" he asked hopefully.

"Wei-gongzi, I'm sorry. If you'd like to know, go ask my brother."

"Wei-xiong, are we still going to catch the fish like you suggested?" Nie Huaisang reminded him.

"Oh yeah! I'll ask Lan Zhan later," Wei Wuxian declared, hurrying off to the stream with his friend.

The four girls watched them run off, sighing.

"Can we get Wangxian together?" Wei Xingsi mused.

"Don't rush them," Nie Yilian reminded. "They'll get together."

Lan Biyun took out Yimei, her erhu, and started playing a soft melody, leaning against a tree under the cool shade of its shadow. Lan Minghui pulled Zhaohui out of her belt, playing with her sister.

As the two Lans played, Nie Yilian and Wei Xingsi closed their eyes, sitting in a meditative position and relaxing. Lan Minghui's mind began to wander as she played her dizi. What are we going to do when the lectures end and the hunt for the Yin Iron begins? And what about the Wen indoctrination, the massacre of Lotus Pier, the burning of the Cloud Recesses, the Xuanwu of Slaughter, Wei-gongzi's demonic cultivation, Jiang-gongzi losing his core, the Dafan Wens, Jin Guangyao... As the list got progressively longer, Lan Minghui felt her head starting to hurt. Focusing her mind on the present moment, she tried to eradicate all of her worries for the time being. Those long afternoons after school with her friends... Lan Minghui had missed them, whether they were studying at the local library, having a snack at a nearby cafe, practicing for upcoming music recitals, or just messing around and having fun...

A while later, Nie Huaisang and Wei Wuxian came running back from the stream with a couple fish in the latter's hands.

"Jie, I caught some fish for us to eat with Jiang Cheng and Shijie!" Wei Wuxian announced, waving the fish around haphazardly.

"Careful, A-Ying! Don't drop the fish," Wei Xingsi said, jumping to her feet.

"Right, Lan-xiaojie and Lan-er-xiaojie, I'm sorry for saying what I said about Lan Zhan," Wei Wuxian apologized, bowing to the Lans.

Lan Biyun nodded, though her expression still showed a faint expression of displeasure. "Good to learn from your mistakes."

The six of them were going to head back when they sensed the presence of somebody nearby. Turning around swiftly, they saw a beautiful, slightly older girl dressed in the fiery crimson hanfu of the Qishan Wen Clan standing nearby with a proud, haughty expression on her face. It was Wen Qing.

To Wei Xingsi's displeasure and embarrassment, Wei Wuxian grinned and approached Wen Qing mischievously.

"Wen-guniang, what are you doing back here?" he asked teasingly, curiously reaching for the needles in her hand.

As Wen Qing glared at him, saying, "Don't mess around with a doctor's tools," Nie Yilian called, "Wei-gongzi, don't touch them!"

Wen Qing turned towards Nie Yilian, nodding politely towards her. Remembering that they were both healers, Lan Minghui assumed that they had probably met before.

"Wei Wuxian! Stop making me feel like Jiang Cheng today!" Wei Xingsi barked. "I told you to behave yourself!" Softening her tone and bowing in apology, she said, "Wen-guniang, please excuse my brother's behavior. He's always been quite unruly."

As they walked away, Lan Minghui lowered her voice to whisper something to her sister. "So. Care to explain why you perked up at Jiang-gongzi's name?"