5. Separations and Reunions

Disclaimer: Mo Dao Zu Shi and The Untamed do not belong to me. The settings, characters, and plot belong, respectively, to Mo Xiang Tong Xiu and the screenwriters of The Untamed. Here, only the plot of this fanfiction and my four OCs, Huang Minghui / Lan Minghui, Lan Biyun, Li Xingsi / Wei Xingsi, and Bai Yilian / Nie Yilian, are my creations. And an important reminder that this ISN'T REAL; please value your lives and do not try to get hit by a car to get this sort of adventure.

Song for this chapter: Stray Kids - FNF

Two years later

Xue Yang, now eleven years old and bearing the courtesy name Chengmei, was just heading back to his room when someone bumped into him, causing him to trip and drop the textbooks he had in his arms. Xue Yang would've assumed it was an accident, but seeing as this was Su She, who did this on purpose and was always causing trouble for him, he felt anger stirring up inside him.

Gathering up his textbooks with irritation, he snapped, "What is it this time, Su She?"

"It's fun to see you getting all riled up," Su She laughed. He snatched away one of his books and ripped it apart before the younger boy could react.

Furious, Xue Yang lunged at him, but Su She held him back by the shoulder.

"Fighting is forbidden in the Cloud Recesses," Su She reminded him mockingly. He then slapped Xue Yang across the face and left.

Xue Yang angrily threw his things onto his bed before slamming his bedroom door shut. He hated Su She to the core... From the day he arrived in the Cloud Recesses, Su She always picked on him and made fun of him for previously being a homeless child and not belonging with the Gusu Lan Sect. As he sat at his desk, brooding about his resentment of Su She and the unfairness of life, Xue Yang suddenly remembered that Lan Qiren had called for him earlier that day. Jumping up and quickly making sure that he looked presentable, Xue Yang hurried to Lan Qiren's study.

Lan Qiren frowned at the sight of Xue Yang's bruised face. "Chengmei, did you fight someone?"

Xue Yang cursed mentally. This would be hard to explain. He hadn't really fought back against Su She, so that meant no...? "I- No, no, I didn't. Just... An accident." That wasn't really lying, right?

Lan Qiren seemed to be considering the truth of his words. Xue Yang swallowed nervously and hoped that he wouldn't get blamed. But a couple minutes later, Lan Qiren let go of the situation at hand.

"Either way, I called you here for a reason," Lan Qiren explained. He presented him with a sword with a slightly jagged blade and a dark silver hilt that faded into black. "Name your sword."

Still thinking of Su She's unfavorable treatment towards him, Xue Yang said, "Jiangzai."

***************

"A-Yang! What happened?" Lan Minghui asked with concern as she rushed into the infirmary to find Xue Yang injured.

"Sparring," Xue Yang mumbled, refusing to meet her eyes.

How... "Who did you go against today?"

Xue Yang didn't answer. He just turned away and glared out the window.

"A-Yang, please. I only want to help you!" Lan Minghui sighed.

"You do?" Xue Yang scoffed. "Figure it out yourself. Who hates me so much that he even ruined something for you?"

What?

***************

After her calligraphy lessons, Lan Minghui walked over to Su She.