7. Too Many Questions

Disclaimer: Mo Dao Zu Shi and The Untamed do not belong to me. The settings, characters, and plot belong, respectively, to Mo Xiang Tong Xiu and the screenwriters of The Untamed. Here, only the plot of this fanfiction and my four OCs, Huang Minghui / Lan Minghui, Lan Biyun, Li Xingsi / Wei Xingsi, and Bai Yilian / Nie Yilian, are my creations. And an important reminder that this ISN'T REAL; please value your lives and do not try to get hit by a car to get this sort of adventure.

Song for this chapter: Lee Hi - Special ft. Jennie Kim

Gesturing towards Nie Yilian, Wei Xingsi insisted, "Oldest first."

"Okay then... So, as you know, I'm Nie Mingjue's younger half-sister, Huaisang's twin sister. I focus on medicine rather than cultivation, but I've also been cultivating diligently. My saber is called Rensheng," Nie Yilian spoke, showing them the saber on her back. "I get along nicely with my martial siblings, and I always have my brothers, too. The biggest bump in this life so far is probably... A-Die's death."

Ahh, right... Her father passed away six years ago...

"Yilian, if you don't want to talk about it, you don't need to," Lan Minghui cut in, concerned.

"No, I'll tell you guys. I don't mind," Nie Yilian said firmly.

**Flashback to four years ago**

One evening after classes, Lan Wangji walked towards the gentian house, where the late Madam Lan had resided.

"Jiejie? Why does Lan-er-gongzi go there every month?" Xue Yang asked. He'd been with the Gusu Lan Sect for a year now, but there were still lots of things that he didn't know about the sect.

Lan Minghui exhaled slowly and began telling him about Madam Lan, Qingheng-Jun, and Lan Wangji.

"A-Yang, you must've noticed that ever since you became a disciple of our sect, you've never met Lan-zongzhu. I'm not talking about Grandmaster Lan; who I mean is Qingheng-Jun; Xiongzhang and Wangji's father."

Xue Yang nodded slowly, as if not quite understanding where the conversation was going.

"That is because Qingheng-Jun is in seclusion. The reason is because of his and Madam Lan's marriage.

"Before her marriage into the Gusu Lan Clan, Madam Lan was a rogue cultivator who Qingheng-Jun fell in love with at first sight. However, she didn't return his sentiments and even killed a sect elder for an unknown reason. Shortly after that, she and Qingheng-Jun held their wedding against the objections of many. After the wedding, Qingheng-Jun built the gentian house for Madam Lan, sending her into seclusion while he himself did the same," Lan Minghui explained.

Pausing to let Xue Yang take it all in, she continued, "After Xiongzhang and Wangji were born, they were immediately taken out of Madam Lan's care. When they got older, they were allowed to visit her once a month. They loved those times, especially Wangji. One day, she passed away, and Wangji, not yet knowing what death was, continued to go to the gentian house, waiting to be let in."

"Then why does Lan-er-gongzi still go?" Xue Yang asked curiously.

"Though he knows that his mother is dead, A-Zhan continues to go there every month. You know what he's like; he is extremely stubborn."

The next thing Xue Yang asked, unbeknownst to him, struck her as hard as the vehicle that had caused her death in her past life.

"Jiejie, do you miss your parents?"

Lan Minghui, swallowing, wondered what everyone who knew her in the other world felt like. She hadn't even known her parents in this life...

"That... Sometimes."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked," Xue Yang quickly apologized.

"Don't be sorry. Though the Gusu Lan Clan is my family now, they are still my parents after all."

**End flashback**

"As you already know, A-Die passed away a few months after a night hunt when I was ten. Wen Ruohan messed with his saber, and the beast that A-Die was fighting with injured him heavily. The healers and I tried our best to save him, but he still died from a qi deviation. I blamed myself so hard for it afterwards, and Da-ge and Huaisang were affected heavily by his death, too. He wasn't very close to us and spent more time running the sect, but he still cared about us..." Nie Yilian trailed off sadly.

Wei Xingsi immediately held her in a tight embrace, comforting her.

"How are you feeling right now, though?" Lan Biyun asked.

Nie Yilian sighed, saying, "It's hard to think about, but A-Die is dead, and there's no way to bring him back. As long as we remember him, he'll always be with us."

Good for you, Yilian.

Lan Minghui spoke next. "You've heard many rumors about our parentage, right? We'll clear them up for you; our mother was the second niece of the predecessor of Qin Cangye, the current leader of the Laoling Qin Clan. Meanwhile, our father was a direct disciple of the Yunmeng Jiang Sect; his father was a guest disciple, and his mother was a direct disciple."

"I- That's so... Complicated," Wei Xingsi said.

"It probably sounds that way," Lan Biyun agreed. "To put it simply, it was a badly received relationship, and our parents left their sects and became rogue cultivators. When we were six, they passed away during a night hunt, and Lan Qiren, a friend of our parents', took us in and raised us as well as Xiongzhang and Wangji as their sisters."

"How do you manage to live with so many rules?" Nie Yilian wondered.

Lan Minghui couldn't help the smile that tugged at her lips.

"You get used to it. Anyway, one evening five years ago, Xiongzhang told us that he was going on a night hunt! We went with him to Kuizhou. There, I found Xue Yang on the street and brought him back here as a guest disciple."

"It was so jarring to see him dressed in Lan clothing," Lan Biyun added. "Minghui here practically raised him!"

Wei Xingsi, curious, asked, "Ooh, did anything happen between the two of you?"

Lan Minghui was brought back to the painful and unexpected turn of events that day two years ago. She began to recount what had happened ever since.

"Two years ago, he left the Gusu Lan Sect. When A-Yang came to tell me, he told me that it was because he felt like there were too many rules here. But a while later, A-Yang sent me a letter saying that he'd joined the Qishan Wen Sect and that there was a reason for him doing so, in addition to him leaving this sect. Yesterday, I got another letter. A-Yang told me that he was being sent on a task that would require quite a bit of time. I'm positive that Wen Ruohan sent him to go find the Yin Iron."

The four girls sat in a stone-cold silence after she finished speaking. It's about time we started planning how to save everyone, isn't it?

Wei Xingsi seemed to be thinking the same way. "Skip over the events of my life. There wasn't anything super big, and I'll catch you guys up on memories at Lotus Pier later. Let's start planning how to save everyone," she decided.

As soon as she finished talking, people seemed to be approaching their semi-hidden spot. Out of instinct, all four of them reached for their weapons as the sound of noisy voices and footsteps got closer.