Family line

I was just making breakfast, waiting for JJ to wake up. She's really not a morning person. I have another day off cause taking only one sick day would look suspicious so I'm going to hang out at Amelia's until JJ gets back.

I placed the food on the table and sat on the counter drinking my coffee when I heard JJ coming downstairs with Michael and Henry.

„Hi," I said.

Michael ran up to me so I picked him and and sat him on my laps.

Henry waved and smiled, „Hi momma, are you picking me up from school today?"

„Yeah," I smiled, „Might even pick you up early," I whispered.

„Now you won't do such thing," JJ warned.

I put my hands up, „Sorry. I can though, right? Come on, you gonna say no to these faces?" I asked and Henry put a big smile on his face right after I did so.

She rolled her eyes, „Fine. Just this once."

Henry ran to hug her and I put Mikey in his high chair. We sat at the table, eating our breakfast and talking about some random things like soccer games and stuff like that.

When we were done boys got dressed and Henry got on the bus to school. Michael was playing in his room.

„So how was yesterday?" JJ asked me.

„Surprising but not really," I said.

She furrowed her eyebrows, „Well it will be surprising to you, but it's not that surprising to me."

„You gonna tell me or what?"

„So she didn't actually have anything to do with Marcella, didn't know anything about it either," I told her.

„I'm sorry," she said.

„No, it's okay. I guess I have the whole story already. There wasn't more to it than what I already knew."

She nodded, „Okay. So what is supposed to be surprising?"

„She did that to help me. And you. Us," I told her.

„I'm sorry, are you saying she kidnapped you and tried to shoot me to help us? How was that supposed to work?" She asked. It was a valid question.

I explained her what Cat had said to me the day before, how we actually knew each other. How I helped her and she helped me. To say it left her speechlessness an understatement.

She squinted her eyes and furrowed her eyebrows trying to understand, „So, okay wait. So she didn't actually wanna kill me?"

I shook my head, "She helped us. Just like she helped me many times before," I told her.

She took some time to process the information and I didn't interrupt. I know it's a lot. Though I am really impatient to hear what she'll say. I'm scared. She just learnt that one of the worst UnSubs she had to deal with was one of my best friends. Who could just accept that? I'm scared she'll leave. And if not now, then some time later.

When you get into a relationship and feel safe with someone it all comes out sooner or later. And then you end up alone again.

When you're a master of lies, every lie and every truth untold becomes your little pawn. You can navigate them however you like and make this big empire. But you can only take so much and the more pawns the less powerful you actually get. Soon you're outnumbered and they break you down along with the kingdom you build. 

„I'm sorry," she said.

I looked at her confused, „What for?"

„That you went through that. Losing your sister and then your friend. Couldn't have been easy," she said.