Castle on the hill

The team just got back from a case in Los Angeles, it was a long case and the flight wasn't short either so everyone was super tired. There was only some paper work left and after that they could finally go home. Emily sat in the bullpen with the rest of the team. JJ sharing her desk with her boss. Neither of them was thrilled to stay working so late so she wanted to encourage them a little. Team work as they say. Just as Emily was about to let them go home Garcia emerged from her bat cave and into the bullpen.

„Hey my lovelies, glad you all came back in one piece," the tech analyst said with a tired smile, „someone left this for you." She stated giving Emily and envelope with a stamp that read „CLASSIFIED". Emily took the envelope giving her team quick glances and slowly opened it. She took out the piece of paper and begin reading. Tears came to her eyes as she read it over and over running her finger over the initials signed at the bottom. JJ quickly saw the change in behavior and looked over her friend's shoulder to see who the letter was from.

„FDL? Who's that?" The blonde wondered, a concerned look on her face.

Emily quickly got her act together and read the letter out loud.

„I know you're probably not expecting to hear from me but I don't have much time now. I'll explain everything when I see you, hopefully. Anyway I'm ready Emily. So if you're ready to forgive me, my club, Chicago, 10pm a week from now. Don't forget the rules. Saluti, FDL," she looked up at her friends „as in Francesca DeLuca." The woman added.

„A friend from when you were living in Italia?" Rossi was curious.

Emily shook her head, „No, Paris. Guys I know we just got back from a case and I'll understand if you all just wanna go home, but this is very important to me. So if anyone decides to stay, I promise I'll explain everything." Prentiss said with a soft look on her face.

„If it's important to you, it's important to all of us," Rossi replied confidently not even having to look at other's reactions as they all started gathering in the conference room. Emily quickly went to her office before joining everyone.

„I'm already pulling what I can find on that Francesca girl," Garcia said tapping on her laptop.

„You won't find anything and if you do it'll probably be fake," the raven haired woman sighed, preparing herself to explain what's going on.

„How so?" Shocked Garcia asked.

„She knows how to stay of the grid, if she didn't she probably wouldn't make it out alive so all you'll find is what she wants you to find. And to top that, she is a genius." Emily told her friend.

„Really? What's her score?" Reid wanted to know, exited to meet someone that might be like himself.

„She never said, doesn't believe intelligence can't be accurately quantified." His boss shrugged. She got a smile in response.

„Anyway," said Emily returning to the subject, „First of all, thank you," she said, giving them a small smile.

"I don't even know where to begin, I guess it all starts over ten years ago when I was working the Valhalla case in Paris undercover.
Chessie, well Francesca is a daughter of a very well respected mafia boss, a friend of Doyle's. She was a sweet little girl when I met her," Emily smiled thinking back.

She continued, "Her and her twin sister Marcella grew up without their mother, she died soon after they were born though I don't know the whole story. I'll give you all the details as we go but long story short, after Doyle came back for me and I was back in Paris I was spotted, I don't know that for sure but I just had a feeling so I reached out to her and she hid me. She told me she was the boss now and I tried to get her on the good side but she didn't even wanna hear it.
I guess after the things she saw and probably did she couldn't see a different life for her. That's what I think this is about, she does see it now but from that letter I think she might be in danger." Emily finished, though that wasn't even half the story.

„So she's the boss now, what about her father and sister?" Tara wanted to know.

„He retired, as for Marcella, well she's dead." She answered looking down.

„Do we wanna know?" Matt asked not sure if he wanted to get the answer.

„Again, I don't know the whole story, but she was killed," she replied sadly, „happened some time after I left"

„No wonder the kid doesn't believe in good anymore." Rossi sighed emphatically. Emily nodded.

„Wait, so you reached out to her when you were supposed to be dead in Paris?" Spencer asked, though his tone sounded more accusing than anything. Emily just nodded again.

He scoffed but decided to let it go. „Okay so that was years ago, was it Doyle that spotted you?"

„I don't know, might've been him, might've been someone else. I guess the word got out about who I really was." Emily told her genius friend.

„But if it was someone else, wouldn't they have tried to get to you?" He wondered.

„If it was someone else, my guess is she wouldn't let them. She'll go to hell and back to protect the ones she loves, that's just who she is." Emily stated sadly, thinking about Marcella.

„So how do you wanna go about this?" Luke asked, going back to the case.

„Well one of you would have to go to the address she sent, I'd do it but I think you all see the conflict of interests there."

„Then who's going?" Jennifer asked hoping she wouldn't be chosen for this.

Emily looked at her for a second before saying, „You are."

„And what are the rules she was talking about? Will I at least have back up?" JJ questioned her boss.

„No, that's one of the rules. I will have people waiting few blocks from the club. You'll have an earpiece, but no people inside. It's too dangerous." Emily stated calmly.

„Too dangerous? And i'm supposed to go there alone, an FBI agent, to a room full of Italian gangsters to meet with the boss?" She asked, her voices raised.

„It'll be okay JJ, like you said she's the boss. She won't let anything happen to you. She never takes her eyes off of a pretty girl." Emily smiled a little trying to enlighten the situation.

JJ thought for a moment about a mafia boss protecting her, the thought seeming ridiculous. „And why me? Why can't Tara do it?"

„She knows you."

„What? How?" JJ asked, really confused.

„I told her about you guys when I was with her in Paris, you seemed to catch her eye so we talked about you from time to time." Emily smiled while saying.

JJ couldn't help but feel a little flattered, though she shook that feeling off remembering it's a mafia boss they're talking about. „Fine," she nodded, „I'll do it."

(Song - Castle on the hill by Ed Sheeran)