24: Death threat

Noah thought about the time when he held the title of the school's biggest bully. In those days, he threw extravagant parties and lived for the adoration of his classmates, teachers, and the entire school community. He was like a deity, worshipped by those around him. However, despite the reverence he enjoyed, Noah decided to drop out, craving more time to live life on his own terms.

His mother's family, recognizing him as the sole heir, attempted to persuade him to return to school. His uncle and aunt from his father's side, harboring ulterior motives, encouraged his reckless behavior, secretly hoping he would self-destruct and leave them with the inheritance. Noah was fully aware of their intentions, but the temptations of his desires outweighed the rational part of his mind. Indulging in all the pleasures life had to offer, he even embarked on a three-week relationship in Dubai, leaving a trail of questionable decisions in his wake.

Everywhere he went, Noah sought to showcase his wealth and power, often at the expense of others. His actions, driven by a desire to prove himself, had a ripple effect, ruining lives along the way. Regret started to creep in, but Noah, overwhelmed by his own desires, became increasingly numb to the consequences of his actions. The once vibrant and powerful figure now found himself grappling with the emptiness that accompanied a life lived without purpose or genuine connection.

Tied to a tree, Noah endured the throbbing pain that pulsed through his head and body from the relentless physical assaults carried out by the twins. This had become a daily act since the incident by the river. The boys, for whatever reason, would cuss and throw objects at him, often causing injuries. However, this time, they had orchestrated a more sinister plan that turned out to be deadly.

In the woods, Evan's foot snapped a branch as they deliberated on their next move.

"We should kill him," Evan said. "A slow and painful death." Evan approached Noah menacingly, wielding a knife.

"Probably, or we leave him here and not have anything to do with his blood," Ethan suggested.

"That's better. At least Avgustin would not kill us, because we didn't kill him," Browne agreed with a twisted sense of logic.

"Right." Evan planted the knife on Noah's shoulder, causing him to clench his jaw in pain, muffling a potential scream. "Now he can bleed out and die," Evan announced calmly. The hate in his eyes was palpable as he announced Noah's fate.

"Die in pain. And be restless in your grave. If you're lucky, this would be your resting place. If not, you'll be useful to those wild beasts for once in your worthless life," Evan spat with venomous disdain.

"Why are you doing this?" Noah slurred.

Evan frowned, "Because that's all you deserve. Everyone seems to hate you and they're not wrong. Stupid ginger hair, stupid face with freckles, and stupid blue eyes. You're ugly. Maybe that's why Avgustin hates you so much, I mean, you're good at it, attracting hate." He spat.

Battered and defeated, Noah hung his head in pain, acknowledging the grim reality he faced.

The boys slowly retreated. "We didn't have to go this far if you did not hit him with a bottle. I told you to be gentle," Ethan said.

"That was all I had, and he wouldn't have been knocked out. And even if we didn't do this, he would have told on us. There were too many evidence," Evan argued. "He is always doing something against us. If not for Browne here who reports his actions, we would be clueless."

Browne gave them a tight smile. "Let's hope he dies."

"It would be better for him," Evan muttered in a dark tone.

Noah heard their retreating steps, and he tried not to despair. Maybe they would come back. Seconds turned to minutes, and minutes to hours. Noah began to despair and tried to break free. The knife Avgustin had offered to him as a remembrance for killing the pig sat in his pocket out of reach. However, with no other option, Noah tried getting rid of the ropes another way.