18. Bloody day

(BEWARE, CHAPTER CONTAINS SERIOUS TRIGGERS! DON'T LIKE DON'T READ)

From the bushes, Dhakirah was revealed, tall and fit, holding what seemed like a nightstick in his grasp and looking at his smartwatch. His dark skin glistened under the sun, and his lower pink lip flashed. Noah stayed put, frowning down at the boy. It was all back again, the heavyweight in his chest crushing his peace.

Dhakirah looked around as if searching for anything in sight. He swept left and right before bringing his gaze back to his watch while holding onto the weapon. Noah refused to show up, staying by the bark of the tree and observing.

"Noah!" Dhakirah called out to the void. "Noah!" He called again and on.

Meanwhile, a stubborn Noah allowed his anger to feast on his decision, so he remained hidden. Dhakirah's voice began fading into the woods, a sign that he was drifting deeper into the woods. Noah hopped on the opportunity to get down and get lost or probably chase behind Dhakirah. He climbed down gently but missed a spot which led to a rough fall. Noah groaned as his head hit the ground.

"Jesus," he muttered while fumbling to get back on his feet with a groan.

"There you are," a nonchalant voice came from behind him. Noah turned around to meet Dhakirah's gaze.

"You heard me call you but you decided to ignore my call," Dhakirah approached him slowly while gripping the stick that sparked with electricity, causing Noah to cower — an electric stick it was. Noah wanted to back away at the threat but decided against it, so he stood chest up with a scowl.

"So?" he taunted.

Dhakirah shoved him on the chest, causing him to stagger backward. Every confidence seemed to disappear as the anger on Dhakirah's face was revealed.

"I thought you were dead! You have no idea what those things can do!"

"Things?" Noah repeated. "The wolf?"

Dhakirah shook his head. "Stupid," he spat. "They're not wolves, and yes, there are more than one."

Noah felt the hairs on his skin rise in alert. "W-what are they?" he asked, the fear in his heart finally revealed.

Dhakirah looked into the woods. "Failed experiment on wolves. We can say, but we call them wolverines. You are lucky, nobody has ever survived a night in the woods alone, with no weapons, no sense of the danger, and naive as you are, the lord must be good to you." Dhakirah turned his back on Noah, taking the first step home.

Noah, feeling unsettled by the information, remained put, both in fear and anxiety.

"Move, Sissy!" Dhakirah yelled, snapping him out of his thoughts.

Noah caught up to him with a quick step, only to grab his bicep, stopping him in track. "I don't wanna go back to the shelter," he confessed, regretting afterward upon seeing the glare that penetrated his skull from Dhakirah.

"Are you insane? You'll die!" Dhakirah half-yelled, causing Noah to take a step back.

"Rather die in the hands of the wolverines than in Avgustin's merciless maltreatment," Noah scoffed, sadly.

Dhakirah scrutinized him before locking the space between them. "Turn around," he demanded.

Noah frowned. "It is not necessary, I'm fine," he added before wrapping his arms around his body. Dhakirah's gaze fell on his wrist, and he paused when he noticed old scars. Then, bringing his gaze back to Noah's face, he frowned. Noah sighed while turning around, then he lifted his shirt enough for Dhakirah to steal a glance at the welts and open fresh wounds that had turned purple.