Chapter 7

They didn't understand what I was laughing about though I didn't expect them to. At that moment Shayne cleared her throat to get my attention and look at Ashlyn.

"You were right and I was wrong for reacting." I said holding back for Ashlyn to let me have it.

"The thing is you didn't ask me anything. You ran away. Juliet, if we are going to have a thorough date, you have to quit running and get to know me." Ashlyn replied.

I put my head down in shame knowing that dating is going to be complicated but the hardest part is that we don't know one another and I don't let people in easily like Shayne does. I would rather put on a mask and hide everything that is inside me. I can't imagine myself being an open book and spilling everything about myself when I can just close the world out. I want a relationship, I want commitment, faithfulness, and everything a couple can have but I don't want to be so committed that it leads to walking down the aisle. I can't be like other women who can marry a partner within a year's time. The worst part is I don't want to have sex, I am not ready or ever will be it makes me uncomfortable. Ashlyn isn't going to want someone who isn't open to anything that a relationship requires.

"I don't think that is possible. I am not stable enough to handle anything. I will date but I don't want anything else out of this." I finally replied feeling my body tense.

"Wh-what? Juliet, we haven't done anything to require more than a date. We have only been acquaintances for the past several months. Now if you are wanting friends with benefits that is out of the issue because I am asexual and demisexual. I want to be your girlfriend but we don't need anything else to be happy." Ashlyn explained with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Wait, you aren't into one gender? Wow, I always assumed you had a type or preferred a gender. And you aren't sexually active either like you don't want that kind of connection." I asked, feeling like I am crossing the line with her.

"No, Shayne and Ariel knew this. I do like having a mutual connection but having that close of contact has to be mutually equal for the sexual stuff to happen. I don't care about gender though I feel more comfort with a woman that I can hopefully connect with. Now let's say if me and you did then it would because our bond grew with great connection and romance behind it." Ashlyn explained and relaxed more with Shayne and Ariel smiling behind her.

I had no words as we all stood around. I couldn't believe she told me that much information about her sexuality and how she feels around people. I want to take this chance with her especially since their is no sexual contact involved not unless it is a connection and romantic. Our first dance together was romantic on Friday then I question why am I so scared? What is causing me to run from her? She is everything I dreamed of as a partner more so since she isn't a sexually active woman. The questions surrounding my head with her staring at me with hopes of some kind of response that I can't give automatically.

--

All three of them were still waiting on me to respond to Ashlyn but I had no idea how to answer on such a subject that I brought on myself. I took a long and slow deep breath to finally courage myself to say something that may save myself from any more shame.

"It is safe to say that we can develop a friendship without anything to worry about and we can have a mutual connection without anything falling apart?" I asked nervously.

I watched Ashlyn bring herself closer contact to me and once she reached me, she held my shoulders gently.

"You are safe with me on all boundaries. We will not do anything that either of us aren't ready for." Ashlyn responded.

I couldn't resist pulling her into my arms and hugging her tightly as her perfume sent me in a thrill. She smelled of roses with a touch of vanilla. I wanted to stay in this hug but I know that is pushing her limits if I did that, so I decided to gently pull away. Without warning she pulled me back into a hug then whispered, "You are too beautiful to let go. Hold me as long as you like."

Standing in the middle of my shop getting a hug that is longer than a few seconds made me feel so much better than a short one. I felt safe and secure with Ashlyn but the urge of wanting to kiss her also made me feel so much flutter. I wouldn't cross that path, I can't at least not yet. For the first time in years, I actually wanted Ashlyn more than any woman that I came across and it felt like a whirlwind of emotions catching up to.

We pulled apart finally as Shayne kept clearing her throat and Ariel laughing for unknown reasons.

"You two are something else. Now that the air is cleared, will you two return to this weekend date though I would suggest a whole week and get used to one another's ways." Ariel said in a big grin as her dark brown hair still flowed down to the middle of her back. Shayne is lucky to be with a beauty like Ariel, she is so breathtaking even with all the tats and piercing.

I looked at Shayne for reassurance. "Ariel, is right, you two need a whole week together. Me and Ariel will run the shop this week. I will let the other two ladies know and our male worker starts this week. We got this!"

"That means I better go get a week worth of clothes packed and all essential items, that is if you are okay with this Ashlyn?" I asked, feeling myself waiting for a no.

"Good thing, I am doing everything online, especially for the newspaper. We can stay at my place. It'll be quiet and no noise from the coffee shop will bother you. I can also have you sleep on the couch or I make you a bed on the floor in my room." Ashlyn replied.

"Let me go get more clothes and everything then we will make arrangements back at your place." I held her hand and squeezed it a bit.

I felt her eyes watch as I went upstairs to the apartment to gather my things and all I kept thinking is that I am safely secured in lust with a woman of my dreams but will we make it this week as a test of more than a friendship? I wasn't sure but I knew one thing Ashlyn wasn't giving up on her that easily.