1.9 | Pick A Club

S1E2: Woe is the Loneliest Number

· · ─────── ·✞· ─────── · ·

The next day, in the front yard of the school, Esmarie was helping Enid paint a canoe for an event; the fur had spent almost two hours convincing Esmarie to join her team. Enid was pacing anxiously by the canoe while ordering everyone around, Esmarie simply painted peacefully ignoring the frantic wolf. "Ladies, come on! Let's work on those teeth. More scowl, like Esmarie is doing!" Enid shouted with a huff, "This kitty is taking no prisoners. If Bianca Barclay wins again this year, I will literally scratch my own eyes out!" Esmarie turned her head to the smaller blonde, a wide-eyed expression on her face as she got up and approached her.

"You need to breathe, Enid," Esmarie encouraged. "I would pay money to see that," Wednesday spoke up from behind the two girls, clearly she was referring to Enid scratching her eyes out but the wolf simply smiled at her roommate's presence. "Howdy, roomie! I'm so glad you decided to stay," Enid expressed while Esmarie nodded in agreement, she had been happy to hear Wednesday's decision to stay. "I thought you wanted your single room back," Wednesday replied to Enid. "Full disclosure, I don't like living solo and Thing gives a killer neck massage. Plus, Esmarie's words were right, it's nice to have company," Enid informed Wednesday.

"It's a win-win. So... why the change of heart?" Enid asked Wednesday. "I refuse to play the role of a pawn in someone else's corrupt game," Wednesday answered her. "You mean Rowan?" Enid asked doubtfully. "We witnessed his murder, Enid," Esmarie spoke up, Enid and Bianca were the only others who knew about the blonde being present for that part; everyone else believed she had been injured tripping over considering how clumsy the girl could be. "It's just, we all saw him this morning. Very much, like, not dead," Enid expressed with a pout, Esmarie yawning as she had been woken from her nap by Enid.

"I know. Which leads me to believe I've been losing my mind. It's not nearly as fun as I had anticipated," Wednesday expressed with Esmarie nodding in agreement with that statement. "You're Nevermore's gossip queen. What's Rowan's story?" Wednesday questioned Enid. "Other than being a weird loner... uh.. no offense," Enid trailed off awkwardly. "None taken," Wednesday replied blandly. "Xavier Thorpe's his roommate. If you had a cell phone, you could just text him and ask him," Enid told Wednesday while Esmarie sighed, she had left her phone in her room as Enid had dragged her out the moment she agreed to help her out.

Enid turned her attention back to the girls, "Yoko. Come on! Flare those whiskers. The Poe Cup droops for no one!" Wednesday was clearly curious, "What is the Poe Cup anyway?" Esmarie sighed as she crossed her arms, she was missing the warmth of her bed. "My entire reason for living right now. Part canoe race, part foot chase, no rules," Enid answered before Esmarie spoke up, "Each dorm has to pick an Edgar Allan Poe short story for inspiration." Enid nodded her head before speaking, "You could grab a brush. Ms Thornhill's just ordered pizza. Want to take a stab at being social?" Esmarie perked up at that, she wondered what Wednesday may say to that.