1.8 | So She Stays

S1E2: Woe is the Loneliest Number

· · ─────── ·✞· ─────── · ·

"This story is about to take a dark turn. Usually, I love dark turns. Like when the carousel brakes mysteriously failed at my eighth birthday party. But not this one."

Bright red and blue lights flashed in the dark as several police officers and police dogs scoured the forest looking for Rowan's dead body. The police had searched all over but it seemed like any traces of Rowan's murder had completely vanished, Or it didn't happen at all. The next day, Wednesday sat in Principal Weems' office alongside Weems and Sheriff Galpin who had informed Wednesday that they had found no trace of Rowan or his supposed murder scene. "How could you miss a dead body?" Wednesday questioned the Sheriff. "'Cause it wasn't there. No footprints, no blood, and no sign of a struggle. Nothing, nada. My search party looked all night," Sheriff Galpin replied to Wednesday.

"Well, your search party must have left their seeing-eye dogs at home. I saw that monster kill Rowan right in front of me," Wednesday told him with a sneer, she wouldn't involve Esmarie in this as she was still recovering from her head being split open by Rowan. "Get a good look at this monster thing?" Sheriff Galpin asked her. "It didn't stick around for a chat," Wednesday snarked back. "Maybe it was one of your classmates," Sheriff Galpin replied to her. "Sheriff, I find that question offensive," Principal Weems spoke up. "I don't care, 'cause I got three other dead bodies in the morgue. Hikers just ripped apart in the woods," Sheriff Galpin snapped back at her.

"The mayor said those were bear attacks," Principal Weems responded to him while Wednesday rolled her eyes, it was obviously not a bear but that creature she and Esmarie encountered. "Well, the mayor and I disagree on that," Sheriff Galpin told her. "So you automatically assume a Nevermore student is the murderer, even though there's no evidence a crime was even committed," Principal Weems said to him with a raised brow. "I'm sorry. I forgot, you only teach the good outcasts here, right?" Sheriff Galpin asked sarcastically making Principal Weems sigh before she spoke up, "My guess is Rowan ran away. State troopers have put out an alert, and I've contacted his family, but they haven't heard from him either."

"Dead people are notoriously bad at returning calls," Wednesday pointed out. "What were you doing out in the woods with him, Ms. Addams?" Sheriff Galpin asked her, an accusatory look in his eyes. "I heard a noise in the forest and went to go investigate. That's when I stumbled upon the attack," Wednesday answered him without hinting to her company or real reason. "Then what happened?" Sheriff Galpin asked further, "How did Ms. King end up hurt?" Wednesday tensed at the mention of Esmarie, "Than I ran into Bianca Barclay, and I told her to go for help. As for Esmarie, I found her. She must have followed the noise too. Next thing I remember, I was awaking in my dorm."

"And just to be clear, this monster wasn't a bear or some other wild animal?" Sheriff Galpin asked, his tone hinting he may be trying to put words in her mouth and change her story but she wouldn't let it go like that; she knew what she and Esmarie witnessed and they wouldn't be convinced otherwise. "I've hibernated with grizzles. I know the difference," Wednesday replied to the Sheriff with a slight snap of her tone.