25

"So you're sleeping with him again?"

I stopped playing with my hair and turned to look at Caroline. "No. I'm never sleeping with him again. He's an unremorseful, narcissistic douchebag who only cares about himself."

"Really, because you two looked pretty close the other day." She continued putting on mascara. "He was practically groping you behind that counter."

I groaned in disgust. "Caroline, no. That's gross."

"Okay, fine. If you're not sleeping with him, who are you sleeping with?"

I didn't answer for a minute. "I don't need to sleep with someone."

She walked out of my bathroom and into my room. She adjusted her dress as she continued berating me about whatever she could think about. "You're really uptight and serious. It's stressing you out, which is stressing everyone else out. You haven't had sex in over a year, which isn't healthy, by the way. For the sake of every person you interact with, go hook up with someone."

I rolled my eyes and moved off my bed. "I'm answering the door."

"Tell him I'm not done."

I walked to the front door and pulled it open. I let Stefan in. "She's not done."

"Is she ever?" I smiled and turned to face him. He turned to me. "Are you okay?"

I crossed my arms. "I'm fine. Why?"

He shook his head once. "You just seem tense."

"Hmm." I tilted my head. "Well, I'm fine."

He seemed unsure. Caroline's footsteps filled my ears as she walked toward us. I looked over at her.

A few minutes later, they were out the door. I made my way back up to my room. I threw myself on the bed, screaming into my pillow. I ignored my ringing phone. Until it kept ringing. Seven times. I answered on the eighth.

"Hello?"

"Are you busy?" Ryan sounded upset.

I sat up. "Is something wrong?"

"I-" His voice wavered. "My brother died."

I felt my heart sink. "Ryan," I cooed. "Where are you?"

"I don't know. I- I've been driving for a really long time and I just... My car broke down. I'm close to you. I was on my way." A sob carried through the phone.

"Okay." I got off my bed. "Do you have any clue where you are?"

"Uhm... No. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, honey." I started walking to the front door. "I'll find you. Stay where you are."

"Okay." He was quiet.

"I have to hang up now so I can come find you. Will you be okay?"

"I think so."

"Okay. I love you, Ryan. I'll be there soon."

"Okay."

I sighed and ended the call. I tried to call Bonnie, but she didn't answer. Straight to voicemail. I thought of any other person who could do a tracking spell, but no one came to mind. Except him.

I cursed myself as I knocked on his door. I reminded myself this isn't for me. It's for Ryan.

Kai's smile made me feel things I didn't need. "Hey, beautiful."

"I need a favor."

He tilted his head, "What can I do for you?"

"I need you to find Ryan."