3

Alaska

It's been four days since I woke up. Tobi sat me down yesterday and told me they found me in a vehicle that had crashed into a tree. She thinks I fell asleep and hit my head on the wheel. She speculates that the airbag blasted me backward, making my head hit the window. At this point, I've already started failing my classes from my absences and I've accepted there's nothing I can do about it at this point. All I can do is hope they'll be understanding of my situation and allow me another chance once I'm healed and return to campus. I've spent the majority of my time with Jude in the gardens. After exploring it for the first time, I fell in love with it. I sat with Jude under a tree with bright red leaves. The two of us bundled up in some clothes so we could enjoy the beauty of the garden.

While there were no flowers to enjoy, the autumnal tree leaves were enough for me to admire. We set the snack board on top of the picnic basket we brought so we could easily pop cheese and crackers into our mouths. We sit in comfortable silence as I people watch. There are men constantly running the perimeter of the community, which seemed to me like they were training for a marathon. Women were rushing around with dead weeds, raking leaves, and shaping up the twiggy brush. Perhaps there's a community event they're preparing for?

"So, why does everyone seem to be nervous today?"

"Our community leader is coming back in a few days. We like to try to make everything perfect for when he gets back. We really appreciate all he does, so we want to make sure we get things done without him having to ask." Jude's eyes twinkle at the mention of the leader.

"Is he like a mayor?" 

"You could say that." He hums with a humorous smile. Jude's bright blond hair ruffles in the breeze. Totally not ominous at all.

"What about the men running? That seems like an odd way to prep for a mayor's return." I skeptically eye the men.

"Oh, them? They just like to work out. We're big on fitness here. It helps with the nerves of the," he briefly pauses, "mayor's return." His blue eyes dart away from mine. I look back at the men. They do look buff and don't seem to be breaking a sweat. They really are fitness-oriented.

"How many days do we have to prep?" When my eyes meet him, he looks amused, "What?"

"We? You want to help? You're meant to be resting silly." he chuckles.

"Well, yeah. I'm here eating food, taking up space. I might as well help if I can. I can help with some calm tasks like cleaning the buildings. I can even help cook meals for everyone if that would make things easier for everyone." I don't want to be useless. Jude paused thoughtfully, his eyes glossing over for a minute. He snaps out of thought and starts gathering up the picnic supplies.

"Come on, you can help my...unit and me with our tasks for today. We need to clean the upper level of the main residential building. We might even help out the linen unit freshen up the sheets." Once he was standing, he reached out to grab my hand. I eagerly accept his help and let him drag me towards the main building through the gardens. As we make our way through the main building, people are whizzing by us, cleaning and organizing. I can even smell the strong scent of the bundles of fresh lavender some women are sitting in each room we walk by. It's so lively here. Upon reaching the top floor, I notice a strong scent of eucalyptus radiating throughout the floor. My god, it smells so good. Sinful.

Jude hands me a duster and I get to work dusting surfaces while he sweeps. Three other women are helping me dust hallway tables, vases, and picture frames. Each frame holds a different scene. There is one painting of what looks like a smaller version of the community. The plaque below the painting explains that the historical painting documented the creation of the community in the year 1505. Wow. This place is old. You definitely couldn't tell how old it was because of how many updates have been made to the buildings and the garden.