Chapter 15: The Unforgivable Curses

Amidst the chaos of the tournament, Sebastian hadn't had much time to focus on classes. If he had, he might of noticed sooner, that their new Defence against the Dark Arts professor was...odd?

There was just something off about him. He did have the word mad in his name. Maybe his strange personality was just the result of being an auror for years. Constantly being exposed to a stream of deranged and depraved wizards had to take a toll on one's sanity eventually.

In the small reprieve between the first trail and the second, Sebastian actually had some time to make sure he wasn't completely failing all his studies.

It just so happened that he had a double period of D.A.D.A that morning. It was unfortunately with the Gryffindor's, but if Ron had any sense, he wouldn't attempt to pull anything in the class with a famous auror that seemed to have some anger issues.

They filed into the room. It was filled with strange trinkets. Sebastian assumed they were magical instruments used by Aurors. The classroom had a more muted, darker aura than it did last year under Remus' tutelage. Remus was still the best professor they had for the subject and Sebastian would stand by that.

Sebastian took a seat next to Draco. In front of them was Hermione and Pansy, and across from them Neville sat with Blaise, With Izora and Destiel behind them. Adrien wasn't there because he wasn't feeling very well and had gone to the infirmary just after breakfast after throwing up.

When Mad-Eye Moody came limping in, prosthetic leg clinking against the floor, the idle chatter died down. There was just something about him that commanded authority.

He picked up the stick of chalk and scribbled the name Moody on the blackboard. "Alastor Moody. Ex-Auror. Ministry malcontent. And your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher." He introduced sharply, punctuating each sentence with as much force as possible. "I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, any questions?"

The tone of his voice clearly implied that if they asked any questions, they wouldn't like the answer, so they all shook their heads.

Mad-Eye grunted. "When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. First, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?" He asked throwing them straight into the thick of the lesson.

"Three Sir." Hermione answered, her voice shaking slightly. They'd never learnt about anything quite as serious before. People were looking nervously at each other.

"Correct. And they're so named?"

"Because they are unforgivable. The use of any one of them will-"

"Earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban, that is correct Miss Granger." Mad-Eye said as he hastily scribbled on the blackboard. Every time the chalk made contact with it both Sebastian and Draco winced, their hearing hyper sensitive.

'I know it's part of his whole shtick but does he need to be so aggressive with everything?' Sebastian thought to himself.

Draco was having much the same thought. The lesson was important and he genuinely wanted to pay attention to it, but it was hard when he was getting a migraine from Mad-Eye's aggressiveness.

"Now the ministry think you're too young to know what these curses do." Mad-eye growled. "I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan."

Seamus looked up sheepishly, chewing gum still pinched between his fingers. "No way...the old codger can see out the back of his head." He whispered to Dean Thomas.