Chapter 18: Yule Ball

Xuiying (Shyo-eeng) = Beautiful Brave
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sebastian hummed as he walked down the hill to the forbidden forest, he didn't go very far, only to the encampment currently playing host to four fire breathing dragons, and their handlers.

He had Draco with him. The blonde was giddy with excitement, after his first meeting with Kaia, he had been waiting to see her again. Sebastian found it adorable how excited Draco was to see the dragon.

Charlie let them into the encampment. Sebastian noticed bandages wrapped around his right forearm.

"What happened to your arm?" He asked.

"Ah, that would be Xuiying. The Chinese Fireball who lost some of her eggs...she's still not eating or drinking, anymore and she'll die, so I went into the cage to try and get her to eat-she wasn't too pleased." Charlie admitted sheepishly, but his tone was distressed. He loved these dragons.

Sebastian chewed on his lip. "Could I try talking with her?"

Charlie raised an eyebrow. "You want to talk to her...I don't know Kiddo, I'll admit you've got quite the connection with dragons...but a dragon experiencing grief such as this-I don't know if it's safe."

"Please-I want to help her. I have to at least try." Sebastian pleaded.

"Alright..." Charlie relented, he really want to see Xuiying return to her old self, and if anyone could achieve that, it would be Sebastian.

They were led to the Xuiying's den. Draco had to wait outside with Charlie. Sebastian cautiously approached the den. Inside, the sleek red body of the Chinese fireball was curled up in a coil which reminded Sebastian of a ball python. Weak puffs of smoke left her nostrils, and her scales had started to fade. Next to her were her remaining hatchlings. That was why Charlie was so worried. If the fireball didn't eat then her hatchlings couldn't either.

Xuiying looked up, a growl leaving her throat, though it lacked the usual power.

"I only want to help." Sebastian whispered as he stepped closer. "I know you're hurting...to lose your babies must be heartbreaking, but you haven't lost all of them, the babies you still have need you. Live for them."

Xuiying looked at him curiously before sniffing his hair and moving down to his arm, she nudged at his sleeve until she could see the golden tattoo residing on his skin.

"You are the one Kaia had claimed as her own...I sense you have experienced loss." She said slowly. To everyone else it sounded like a growl.

"I have, but I'm living for those I still have. You should too." Sebastian said as he gently placed a hand on Xuiying's snout. "Your babies need you."

The dragon exhaled and looked over at her hatchlings. Their tiny bodies were fragile and dependant on her. Their heads were too big for their bodies so they wobbled and fell over as they tried to walk. She sighed and began to eat the hunk of meat in her food tray, before regurgitating small amounts for the hatchlings.

Sebastian smiled as he watched. He left Xuiying to take care of her young as he went to visit Kaia.

Draco had his wings out and they flapped in excitement. Sebastian shook his head fondly. "C'mon angel~ I know you're excited." He cooed as they reached Kaia's den.

The dragon raised her head to greet them. Her hatchlings chirped as they tumbled over to try and greet Sebastian and Draco.

"Hello hatchling, I see you've brought your boyfriend with you. He has such pretty wings. I'm sure you'll have very pretty hatchlings with him one day." Kaia cooed as she nuzzled her face against Sebastian's.