Ch. 4 Bitten

I have always hated goodbyes. Goodbye just feels too permanent. I don’t want to leave forever, just for a little while. That’s why this morning was awful. Yesterday we went home from the hospital. Austin and Landon were so happy to see me, then we had to break the news to them and they were devastated. We told them that I was still sick and that I would need a better doctor so I was moving to Texas so that I would be close to a hospital and doctors that could help me. It felt like there was nothing I could do to fix the situation. They just sadly went to my room and helped me pack. By the end of the day, everything was loaded into boxes. I couldn’t sleep at all last night. My brain just wouldn’t shut off. I was nervous excited and sad. 

This morning Amos got here right on time. It took us about forty-five minutes to load everything up and another thirty to say goodbye. By the time we left, it was well into the afternoon. We had a ten-hour drive ahead of us from Illinois to Texas and Amos refused to stop for the night. He said the sooner we get there the better. So now I awkwardly sit in the car with him as I have been for the last nine hours and thirty-two minutes. 

I had been trying to ask questions here and there but all I got was one-word answers. I figured if I really wanted some detail I would have to ask more creative questions.

“So, what does this pack look like?” I asked. 

“It’s big.” He said gruffly. 

“Like a large city?” I asked trying to squeeze just a few more details out of him.

“No.” He replied. 

That’s all I get again? Fine, I’ll just ask more questions til he gives me what I want. “So a large town then. What do you all do? Do you have a lot of money so no one has to go outside the pack territory and expose your big secret?” 

That one made him scoff, “We do have a lot of money, but money isn’t the only thing a pack needs to survive. Especially not one as large as ours.”

“So what do you do then?” I inquired. 

“We have a collection of large farms and ranches. We grow and raise most of our food. The money comes from the products we sell, investments, stocks, and savings. We also have a shopping center, a hospital, and schools.” He said finally giving me more information! I mentally fist pumped with victory. 

“You keep saying the pack is large. How big are we talking? Like eighty or so?” I asked now even more curious. 

He chuckled, “We have three thousand four hundred and eight, including you.” 

My eyes practically flopped out of their sockets at his answer. “Three thousand!” I shouted. That's an entire city's worth!

 “Yes, we are the fifth largest in America.” He said matter of factly.

“Just the fifth? There’s no way! How many are in the largest then?” I exclaimed. I didn’t think there were that many Lycanthropes in the world! Even the Penumbra pack was relatively small with around two hundred people compared to this one!

“The largest would be the Alpha king’s pack, Aphelion. I’m not too sure about the exact amount but they have around eight to ten thousand people.” Amos said sounding rather amused.

If my jaw didn’t hit the floor earlier it definitely did now. Around eight to ten thousand is way too many for just one person to lead!

“The king doesn’t lead by himself. No Alpha does, there is always a second in command and a third. Most Alphas will also have their female counterpart, which is the Luna. The Alpha king doesn’t have one of those yet but he has already appointed his Beta and Delta. He has a few others supporting him as well from what I know.” He said.