Ch.3 Confession

"So you're saying that I am half werewolf but the reason I never transformed til now is because of something called Wolfsbane?" I questioned.

Amos and my mom had explained almost everything by now. Mom had to bring me to this specific hospital because it resided within the Penumbra pack territory. Which is the pack that Joanne is in. Joanne is Amos's sister but she married into the Penumbra pack a few years ago. When mom left Amos she secretly kept in contact with Joanne so that if I ever needed help from another werewolf she would be able to provide it. Joanne had moved to a few different packs since then and we had been following her. We moved into the nearest human town to whichever pack Joanne was in. I didn't even realize this was what we had been doing all along. I thought the sudden moves were just because mom got paranoid about staying in one place too long but this explains why we had been in our town longer than others. Once Joanne settled down we got to too.

Amos is a part of a pack of werewolves called Cythian. A pack is like a large group of people that are closely connected or a family. Though not everyone in it is related they are connected through a bond. Apparently, I had not been connected to a pack since I was never presented to the Alpha and Luna when I was born. The Alpha is like the leader or something. The Luna is the spiritual leader and is usually married to the Alpha. Amos said the Alpha and Luna have control over the pack and can use something called a mind link to basically command the lower ranks of the pack through their subconscious. Usually, when an Alpha or Luna wants to do this they will use a verbal command while also using the mind link to shut down the person's ability to resist them. Which made no sense to me, but then again none of this did. Amos had used a mind link on me but he explained he is not the Alpha. Instead, he is the Beta or second-in-command. He is almost as powerful as the alpha and can use mind links on those of a lower rank than himself. He had used it on me earlier to tap into my subconscious and cause my body to listen to him, thus making me go still and stop speaking. For some reason though, I was able to snap out of it for just a second. Amos said he had never seen that happen before but that it could be due to me being half-human or of equal ranking to him, which is impossible since I haven't even fully transformed.

When the crash happened Mom was still conscious and managed to call Joanne. She knew she couldn't take me to a human hospital since I have a higher tolerance to human medication and would need special attention from a Lycan doctor. Thus Joanne was her only option. Mom said she had always been extra careful to avoid hospitals altogether including werewolf ones. She was afraid that somehow Amos would find us if I ever got admitted. Well, she was right. The leader of the Penumbra pack registered me as a rogue on some werewolf database the second I stepped foot in his territory. Amos explained that it is standard protocol to register any unknown or new werewolves that way it would be easier to keep track of population and pack affiliation. Once I had been registered as a werewolf Amos was alerted. He said he had someone keeping an eye out for a young female rogue around my age since my mother left. Amos was here within a day and after a brief conversation with the leader of this pack, he had me re-registered under his own. I was no longer Coryn Adya Robins the rogue but now Coryn Adya Dred lower-ranking member of the Cynthian pack, daughter of Beta Amos Nathaniel Dred. I think I prefer being called a rogue, it sounds so badass.

Amos nodded in response to my question, "Wolfsbane is a flower that can be turned into a powerful toxin. One cup of it could kill a full-grown lycan in mere minutes. It suppresses our rapid regeneration abilities and makes it nearly impossible to transform. Which explains why you didn't transform until you had been weaned off of it here for a few days."

Wow, that is intense. To think I had been ingesting a powerful poison for years and didn't even realize made me start questioning everything all over again. "How did I even start taking it?" I asked.