Euphemism | A SEVEN

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to

Finn4029 and HerefortheRide3

•••

The girls decided to break out of the park scene and took a trip down to a quaint bistro by the coast side, recommended by Andrea. The place had been worth the far mile from the district to reach and the view of the ferryboats cruising by piqued Cassandra's interest. Lydia not being fond of boat rides hung back while Andrea joined Cassandra to board.

Cassandra stayed the closest she was appropriately allowed to by the rails, observing the tame waves.

"So," started Andrea. "I heard from Lydia that you guys knew each other from East Chesterfield. What made you suddenly transfer here?"
Cassandra lifted a brow. "Why do you ask?"

"Just curious." Andrea answered. "... Oh, did I just bring up a touchy subject?"

"Um, well..."

"Oh god. I did, didn't I? Look, forget I even asked."

"No no, it's okay." Cassandra assured. "I just never really told anyone because well, back home it would still be news and Lydia was worried it could ruin my fresh start here but that already got rocky so what the hell?"

She took a breath, gripping the rails as of a little boost. "Basically, my dad got caught having an affair with his secretary— cliché, I know. And the media and tabloids got a hold of it. Like, actual footage somebody recorded."

Cassandra dared herself to spare a glance to the girl and her expression resembled Mark's at the time. Only less grim since he'd gotten word earlier as it was the talk all over the street and papers. He opened the door and let her into his bedroom and held her the whole time Cassandra bawled out her eyes.

"I'd heard about that in the summer." Andrea muttered in befuddlement. "Yeah, the video was all over the place and I thought it was just a stunt. I mean, I didn't think somebody could be so bloody stupid to do it out in the open."

"I know right?"

"Holy shit, Cass. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It was my mum who had it the worst."

Her mind reeled back in thought of those distraught days, to the extent there was a ghost of the gut wrench in her side when it first hit.

"The reporters and her so-called friends constantly harassing her on it like she was the one being unfaithful. Then dad didn't really do anything. He just said, 'It didn't mean anything, honey.' And bought her a new Prada bag."

An aching humourless laugh escaped Cassandra's lips as she recited it. "Like, that would fix everything. And he expected mum to go back to act as if it was all good."

"... Wow."

"He's the thickest man on the planet so, yeah. Not shocked that's how he got himself caught." Cassandra rifled a hand through her hair. The breeze picking up aided to fan out the sting in her eyes.

But the hand that held her shoulder did more. It reminded Cassandra's lungs how to take in the air as she heaved a haggard breath, the screaming she heard from her parent's room before the door slammed and her mother came storming out.

Cassandra always thought the woman was invincible until that night she found the great Miranda Lovett crying on the bathroom floor, her perfect makeup and hair in shambles. A big mess for the first time her daughter's eyes ever laid witness to it.

Adler | The Monarch & The Heirs BOOK 2.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara