Chapter 4 - Exile

Start from the beginning

That sight of Kylie rushing to ease Aaron's pain as Olwen had rejected him flashed through her mind. When she'd first left the Silver Arrow Pack, just thinking of it made her seethe with jealousy-but now she just felt numb. The Luna Ceremony should have been approaching in a week or so by now, and Olwen had to shove away that dreamlike image of everyone present to welcome their new Luna.

Kylie will make such a strong Luna!

She's the perfect chosen mate for Alpha Aaron!

Olwen was too weak and pathetic, long live Luna Kylie!

Though those words were only a figment of her imagination, just envisioning that they were what her former pack mates thought stung her deeply. Perhaps if Kylie had been the one forced out into the Wilds on her own, she would have thrived compared to how Olwen was doing now. She would have tracked down food with ease, known every possible hiding spot, and taken down every rogue that had dared attack her.

Olwen wanted to empathise with her still, given the rejection that had brought Kylie back to the Silver Arrow Pack, but it was still no excuse for Kylie to go after someone else's mate. And it was her fated mate too. Perhaps if Olwen had given Aaron more attention in the last few months he wouldn't have...

I'm sorry mom. I'm sorry dad. I couldn't make your sacrifice for the pack worth it.

For all the unspoken rules in the Silver Arrow Pack about loyalty being strength and how it tied into the pack's original inception and success, it seemed bitterly ironic that someone had been rewarded for betraying their fated mate.

Opal's stomach growled. They hadn't eaten anything much this afternoon yet.

Forcing herself to withstand her hunger until she found something, Opal huffed and laid on her paws.

I miss Ares, the wolf rumbled sadly.

Given the visible struggle that had appeared to take place between Aaron and his wolf in Alpha Bradley's office, Olwen could only wish the best for Ares. Even if that meant him finding happiness with Kylie's wolf Kiara.

But she was barely holding out as a rogue, and as cherished as the fated bond had once been, she had rightfully broken it off. Which also meant that she would never experience finding a fated mate again.

We don't need a fated mate to survive. Opal huffed. You may not have ended up at the Luna of the Silver Arrow Pack, but the training you did is still useful to us.

Opal had been just as torn up about having to carry out the rejection as Olwen was, but over the three months they had worked together seamlessly to ensure both of them stayed alive.

I'm fortunate to have you as my wolf, Opal.

Opal purred, sounding somewhat happy for the first time in a while.

And I'm glad to have you as my human. Wait, do you smell something?

Opal raised her head, sniffing the air. There was a distinct scent. It smelt like the way the forest did after rain, only stronger and with the intensity of cologne almost. It had indeed rained earlier, but the scent seemed to penetrate the air much faster than normal.

Opal sniffed again, before standing up and emitting a low growl. A moment or so later, the scent began to fade, until she was alone again.

What was that all about? Was there a wolf nearby?

Opal relaxed back on her paws.

Whoever it was...they've left.

The scent is coming from Moon River pack territory. They probably saw us coming close to their borders and were watching to see if we were causing any trouble. We should probably keep a safe distance and head elsewhere tomorrow.