Harlan's Thoughts pt 2

They were here!! He drew back from Granny, re-centered himself and reached out his hands to Mistress Fyn, who started towards him in a rush, afraid that something was wrong. "Fyn! Fyn, I must get down, I must get down, right now. Please, the lift!"
Mistress Fyn definitely thought he needed the chamber-pot, but no matter... Harlan was in too much of a hurry to correct her. He knew he needed to hear the voice of this mysterious mage-woman, no matter what. Again, he cursed his broken body as the lift slowly cranked downwards; every second lost meant another moment he might miss her. He might not get another chance, it could be years before she came to the castle again. How slow this machine was! Harlan flung himself out of the chair as soon as it bumped to the floor, staggering and flinging out his mana-ropes to steady himself. He tottered across the floor to the far door–not his bedroom, but the hall, which led to the council room. He caught the railing and staggered down the few steps to the room, then stood for a moment, assessing; finally he chose a seat at the far back end of the room, and sitting down, he waved Mistress Fyn closer. "Fyn, I will sit in on this day's requisition of property meeting. Please make certain I am not disturbed; I am only here to observe. Let Master Jer know I will be listening, but to appear as if I am not present."
Mistress Fyn chortled "Aye, Master Harlan. I'll make sure he knows. Have ye the property pages drawn up for him?"

"On my desk as usual, Fyn. Only four left–Grebefal is getting full. We may need to start building our own houses, soon. But not today."
Fyn rustled away, and Harlan focused his senses on the room around him; gathering the air around him, he cloaked himself in the energy of the room, masking his presence. A few minutes later, he heard footsteps; the thick boots of Captain Jaksson, and another sound–soft, light footsteps, two pairs of them, stepping in time as if they were dancing. As they entered the room, it seemed to fill with the powerful glow of aura; the captain's aura core was dwarfed by it. A purple sun and a white star, Harlan thought. It was the most exciting thing he had ever seen; mana swirled and flowed through them and around them in a way he had never sensed before, in anyone. The taller of the two sat down at the front of the room, carrying the baby; his glow flickered and again, Harlan felt a pressure, as if the child was seeking to connect with him. Harlan shuttered his mind reflexively, aghast; how was this possible? Was he really seeking minds already?
Master Jer entered the room, silent as a whisper, and sat down at the front of the room, pages in hand. He coughed, and the child stirred and grumbled, and Harmony lifted him, holding him tighter.
Harlan listened as she spoke; how she explained herself–a mage, a magical researcher. Not just a mage, but a mage who studied new magic, made inventions, created new spells. Harlan was afire with curiosity, but then she continued–she had been in the mountains, she said. She was pregnant, and alone. A spell gone awry.
After she had gone, Harlan walked slowly back up to his room and lay down on his bed, thinking hard. There was only one real mountain nearby–the Icamber Mausoleum, a mountain built by the ancients as a tomb for their dead... Had she landed there? How? That tomb was sealed with anti-magic barriers; none could enter it. Was this some new spell that transported people across barriers?
Harlan wondered if it wasn't just a falsehood; but her voice had held no hint of lies, and her aura had shone true, and not darkened, as Harlan noticed it did when people lied. He wanted to believe she told the truth. But there was still so much she left out. She was with child when she arrived, she said. Was she married? If so, why did she not wish to return? Harlan's brow darkened as he considered again. What if she did not wish to return, because she had been harmed? Was she fleeing from someone? Deep anger and disgust rose in his throat at the thought. What kind of vile monster could have a strong, beautiful woman to carry their child, and then harm them so much that they would wish to flee? Would that I were so lucky! He felt oddly protective of Harmony and her son; this brilliant, amazing woman with her strange, twin aura, and her child, whom she obviously cared for deeply.
But how could I protect her? She is more, will always be more than I could ever hope to be. I can only watch.. and wonder why.