Chapter 17

Image link: https://pin.it/6HcHWYAIw

__________________________________

Liz

With my eyes still closed, I hear a soft sound. It sounded like something was breaking. Soon, I feel something slightly sticky under my hand. The tree had opened a path within itself for the sap to flow out so I could have access to it.

I rush to grab a glass jar and notice both the teacher and the mágici are looking at me. Since I don't want the tree to be exposed for too long, I return to it, but not before taking some sugar mixed with water.

I manage to collect a good amount of sap, and the hole closes. Then, two of its branches move to a height I could reach. It was giving me its tallest and lowest leaves.

"Thank you. Thank you so much," I whisper, happiness evident.

I place the little jar with water and sugar in a safe spot among its branches.

"This will bring you some company, after we leave, I'm sure some hummingbirds will show up. I hope you like it," I respond again with a rustling, this time even more agitated. I rush back with the elements it provided me.

The water had had time to boil, so I remove the pot from the fire and pour half of the contents into two containers. In the first one, I add the macerated eucalyptus leaves with a drop of blood from my finger for the ingredient, "a drop of blood from a healthy human." I'm not the epitome of a healthy person, but I think it should do. I close the container by putting another one over it.

In the second one, I add five orange blossom flowers chopped with my hands, following the same reasoning as the eucalyptus leaves. Right after, I add the tree sap and mix it a bit. I cover the container in the same way I did with the other.

For the last potion, I clean the mortar and its little pot, placing inside the tree leaves and the placenta. I crush it until it turns into a kind of paste and then cover the feather with the mixture; I have to let it act for a while. I return to the first potion and start the "conversation" with it. A potion often won't work if the elements don't know its purpose.

"At this moment, you are the most effective helpers I could have. I ask that you unite for healing, and if you choose to fulfill my request, I thank you on behalf of my heart, my mind, and my magic," I whisper as I dip my hibernale into the mixture. It glows lightly, almost imperceptibly. Our magics are connected; the potion can be used. I remove the stone and transfer the mixture to a kind of glass bottle so it can be drunk.

I do the same with the last mixture, which contains the tree sap, asking for sleep and slowing down movement and thought this time. I also place them in different containers, made with extremely thin glass. They are crafted this way so that, when thrown towards the target, they shatter on the ground and release the concentrated odor of what they contain.

For the potion that still needs to be finished, I pour water over the feather, washing the mixture off it. I make my request for improved hearing in the same way as the last two times and look for a container that can fit the feather inside, along with the liquid. It will be used as a kind of dropper when dropping the solution into the guards' ears.

As soon as I finish, I look ahead and regain awareness of what's happening and the people around me; I have a few seconds before the mágici ends the test. I see various types of situations: desperate people trying to finish, others almost asleep because they've been done for a while, and others almost crying, whatever their reason may be.