12

Axel sat at his desk in his office, staring off into space. It annoyed him to end that he had a thing for Gabrielle Remington. He had ever since he'd laid eyes on her three years ago, but she'd never been interested. Now he knew why. She'd had a mate all this time. He was a bit jealous.

Offering for her had sort of been random. He'd made it sound like he needed an heir, which was true, but at the same time, it really wasn't at the forefront of his mind. Being with Gabrielle Remington was.

He didn't care about her title or that she was a princess or even a Remington. None of that mattered one iota to him. He just found her very beautiful. He loved listening to her laugh when she was with his Beta's sister.

She'd spent some time over the summer here, and that was when he'd really noticed her and how beautiful she was. He still wanted her, but not if she was mated to someone else.

What a messed up situation all of that was. He couldn't believe she was mated to a panther shifter. He hadn't known that was a thing. The world held many mysteries.

There was a knock at his door, and then the door opened, and Daniel Remington, the Alpha King, walked in. Daniel had attended his own ceremony when Axel had taken over as the Alpha of Denali Pack. He didn't know much about the man except that he was Gabrielle's brother. The Royal Pack was a bit shrouded in mystery.

He stood as the Alpha approached, and bowed his head. "Alpha." Remnants of an interesting scent flitted under his nose and he breathed it in, wondering where it came from. It smelled really good but he pushed it out of his mind.

"Alpha, my sister would appreciate a meal and some sleep, then we will get out of your hair," Daniel said.

"That's no problem. You all are welcome to stay as long as you wish," Axel told him.

"I appreciate that, Alpha. There's something else I want to discuss with you as well." Daniel sat down in the chair in front of Axel's desk.

"Of course." Axel sat down as well.

"I'm about to divulge some things to you that are not really known in the werewolf community. I would prefer that you keep this to yourself. I wouldn't even tell you but you're going to have questions soon so it's better that I give you a heads up now." Daniel steepled his fingers together.

Well this conversation has just gotten very interesting. "Alright."

"I'm over four hundred years old. I've been King for a very long time. All the members of my pack are immortal, and remain so as long as they're in my pack." He stopped.

Axel stared at him as the full ramifications of what Gabby becoming his mate would mean. She'd be giving up her immortality for him. He felt slightly sick at that. If he'd known, he would have never asked that of her. And he had a feeling she may not have told him until it was too late. "I didn't know, Alpha."

Daniel frowned at him. "I'm aware of that, and I'm not telling you this because you asked her to be your chosen. It's her decision. If she chose to be with you, that would be her decision. She's well aware."

Axel nodded. He didn't know what to think of that. His mind was a little blown, especially as he stared at the man sitting across from him who looked to be in his twenties. He wondered how old Gabby was. It also explained why her own father looked as young as he did.

"Because of our immortality, we will get second chance mates. So, since Gabby has rejected her mate, she will get another," Daniel told him.

Another strike against him, Axel nodded. Why would she want him when she could have another fated?