Not broken yet

Feeling a little less irritated after my shower I dried off and slipped into the dress. I admired it in the mirror, but it just wasn't sitting right at my chest and my underwear was visible due to the bumps it was creating in the fabric. I slipped off my thong and the material instantly sat flat against my bare skin. Fuck! I muttered, staring at myself in the mirror. Can I go out without any underwear on? I chuntered to myself as I removed the bra and the dress dropped perfectly again. Looks like I'm going to have to. Please God I beg of you, do not let me expose myself at any point tonight. I ran my hands down the fabric once more before moving to the bed and perching on the edge as I slipped my feet into the strappy heels and carefully secured the dainty buckles at my ankle then stood, adjusting my centre as I wobbled on the delicate heel.

"You ready?" A gentle tap at the door startled me and my mother peered into the room. "Wow, Olivia. You look like a princess." She paused at the door, blinking rapidly as she looked at me.

"Thank you." I blushed and began fighting with the tiny clasp on the necklace.

"Here, let me help you." She quickly moved towards me and took the cain. "I'm sorry about earlier." She whispered as she gestured for me to bend slightly so she could properly reach my neck. "It was just a shock, you know, that, and it hurt that you hadn't told me what was going on, or that you felt like you couldn't tell me."

"I'm sorry you had to find out like that. It wasn't intentional to keep it from you, I just... well it's so new you know, and I'm still kind of figuring it all out. I would have told you soon and in a far more appropriate way."

We both softly chuckled as she straightened the chain and then passed me the small studded earrings.

"You know I'd support you Olivia, I might have something to say about it, but I'd always support you and I'm so darn proud of you."

"Mom" I gasped feeling my eyes begin to water. "Stop, you'll make me cry and ruin this perfect make-up."

"and yet you'd still be as pretty as a picture, my beautiful girl." She cupped my cheek endearingly and released a gentle sigh. "It's a difficult time for a parent, to watch their child grow up and not need them anymore." A pained scoff filled the room. "It's dramatic, but it's like you lose a bit of yourself and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do anymore."

"Oh, Mom." I held her hands in mine. "I will always need you, but this is a great time for you and Dad. You're both young enough to get out there and live your lives, get to know yourselves and each other again." We carefully hugged ensuring we didn't damage each other's makeup or dresses.

"Yes," Her eyes glistened as she moved back. " You know we used to always talk about the things we would do when you got older and started your own life. The places we would go to the things we would get to experience and be older and wiser to appreciate it all."

"So go and do it, do now before you become grandparents." I let out a playful laugh but was met with a now-hardened icy glare. "Oh my God... I'm not... I..." She didn't blink once as I stumbled over my words. " I'm just saying, in a really bad way, to do it now. You don't want to have sat on it for like 10 or 20 years when I might start considering that and then it to be another excuse to not do it. That's all, I'm not, I promise... I'm not."

Her stare finally softened bringing a wave of relief over me. "Okay... not that I want to even contemplate this but I understand that you are a young woman now and, well we've all been through our experimental stages and..."

"Mom, please stop." I almost screeched as I jumped away from her.

"I just hope you're being sensible Olivia. That's all." We both looked away letting out a hefty sigh. "Okay, let's go get 'em." She playfully joked, trying to remove the awkward tension as she smoothed down her tailored white dress.