Twenty-Four

1 Year Later

Rosalie

The first anniversary of the death of Oakley had just passed.

Me and Leah had gotten back on track, and it was starting to seem like we were the Rosie and Leah before I became pregnant. Even while I continued to suffer through difficult days, I noticed that they were becoming less frequent.

Millie and I accompanied Leah to each of her games after she restarted them. It appeared that Millie and Leah's bond was growing stronger by the day; Millie was such a mummy's girl that I had been demoted to reading to her before bed since Leah did better voices.

I was anxious as this would be our first transatlantic travel with Millie, as we were going to Australia for the World Cup. Leah's time away from playing last year appeared to have done her some good as well, as she appeared to be a completely different player this season.

We load onto the private jet that will take us to Australia; Amanda and Jacob have decided to come along for the trip as well, so there will be more people to keep an eye on Millie if she starts acting up on the flight.

"Hello darling," Amanda says as she draws me in for a hug "you look lovely, is that a new skirt?"" she asks, indicating the brand-new skirt I'd gone out and bought the day before.

"Aww, thank you so much Amanda," I respond "I got it yesterday, Millie has had a growth spurt so she needed some new clothes, and I seen it and thought it would be perfect for Australia and the heat."

Millie had spent the flight bouncing between Leah and the rest of us, although she spent the most time with Leah.

At one point, I found myself staring at them while they slept, snuggled together, and thinking, "I'm so lucky to have them."

After a long flight, we finally touched down in Australia, and Leah drove us to our hotel. Leah had reserved the penthouse suite, which functioned almost as an apartment, so that we could all stay together.

So that Leah and I can have some much-needed alone time, Amanda has offered to watch Millie tonight. Since this was my first time in Australia, Leah offered to arrange the evening since she knew the city well.

Leah had just left to attend a quick team meeting with Sabrina, and I was sitting in the lounge watching Jacob be coerced into dressing up like a princess and having a tea party with Millie.

My phone buzzes in my pocket as Amanda and I watch the floor-based tea party.

Leah: Sweetheart, I need to make sure I brought my toothbrush with me so I can get a new one if I forgot it. Should be in my wash bag in the bathroom x

I haul myself from the couch and make my way towards the en suite bathroom.

Leah fucking Williamson.

After such a long flight, this is just what I needed. As I sink into the beautiful warm bath, I notice the book on the bath shelf; she has certainly outdone herself this time, knowing how much I admired Jane Austen.

I spent over an hour in the tub reading before dragging myself out and getting dressed for our date