One

Rosalie Crawford smiles as she looks through the peep hole. A wide smile curves into her cheeks as she pulls open the door to see her girlfriend.

Despite the anxiety filling her chest at her distant and weird look, Rosalie smiles at the sight of Leah.

She was actually about to go see her.

"Leah, hey" she says softly, the small box in her hands is set down as she beacons the blonde in.

Leah looks up at her with a small smile. A wight sits heavily on her chest as she places a kiss on her cheek and wraps her arms around her waist.

Leah's arms quickly wrap around her shorter body, choosing to savour the way her body fits against hers like a finished puzzle. Leah holds Rosalie close to her chest and lets her flowery scent fill her nose and mind, regret and sadness already filling her lungs and she hasn't even done anything yet.

"Rosie, can we talk?" Leah finally says and pulls away from her, her hands that once pulled her against her now reach down to hold both of her hands while her head dips down and they both sit down on the couch.

"Yeah? Why are you acting so weird?" Rosalie chuckles, she can feel the tension but she says nothing and instead tries to lighten the mood with soft laugher.

"Uh" Leah starts. The words she practised on the way over dying on her tongue when she finally looks up to see her chocolate brown eyes staring at her. Leah can see the adoration and usual happiness in them and it makes her mind spin.

She could so easily say nothing and just hug her. She could hug her close, say she just wanted to see her and then leave. Leaving them both happy and together.

But Leah knows she cant. She has to do this or it will just hurt more in the end.

She doesn't want to hurt the girl she loves more than she needs to.

"Leah?" Rosalie says softly and cups her girlfriends face gently and Leah cant help but lean into her warm and homey touch.

"I got into the Arsenal Senior team" she says quietly.

Rosalie is confused. This is good news isn't it? That's all Leah has ever wanted and Rosalie has been there to support her every step of the way.

"Leah that's amazing!" Rosalie says excitedly and hugs her girlfriend, before pulling back when Leah doesn't hold her back "isnt it?"

Leah bites the inside of her cheek and looks away from the brown eyes staring back at her, her green eyes focused solely on their joined hands. Leah brings the joined hands up to kiss the girls knuckles.

"Leah? What's wrong?" Rosalie asks and her smile begins to dip when Leah looks up at her with tears glossing her green eyes.

"This is great news but um, this is a big commitment" Leah starts and watches confuse contort Rosalie's face.

"Yeah of course it is, but this is your dream? This is what you've been working for your entire life Leah" Rosalie says, still confused on why the girl in front of her seems so sad.

"I think we should break up" Leah says all at once. She figured that she needed to pull the band aid off before she chickens out. She wanted Rosalie to get over her quickly, and she wouldn't be able to do that if she let this go on too long.

"Wha-what?" Rosalie stutters out. Denial and sadness begin to clog her throat and fill her eyes.

"Rosie, this is a huge commitment and I'll be gone a lot it wont be worth it for us to try" the words come out harsher than Leah meant. She grimaces at the way it sounds.

Rosalie's eyes begin to sting with tears.

Did she just say she wasn't wort it? Their relationship wasn't worth it?

Rosalie looks at the small box she set down on the table in front of her. The anxious joy that once filled her chest is now replaced with numbing pain and sadness.

"Leah, I- we-" Rosalie doesn't know what to say. She wants to beg Leah to change her mind she wants her to see that they could make it. That the one year of dating and eight years of friendship wasn't something to waste.

Leah shakes her head, "I don't want to hurt you, but we'll hardly see each other and it wont be fair on you"

Rosalie knows she's right. She will be gone way more than they are both used to right now.

But again, why couldn't she be enough for Leah to at least try?

Rosalie avoids eye contact as she pulls her hands from Leah's to put them in her lap. She wont be able to change her mind, as much as she wants to use the wrapped up box to try. Tears begin to fall down her cheeks while she looks down at her lap as if it's the more important thing in the room.

"You wont change your mind?" Rosalie asks, her voice wobbly and weak.

She hears Leah mutter, a "no I wont, I'm sorry"

She nods along and a shaking hand comes up to wipe away her tears.

"Okay, can you leave please" her voice is small, weak and quiet. She refuses to look up to see Leah looking at her in conflict.

A war rages on inside her mind but she cant fix anything right now, even if she wanted to. Leah's heart and mind are being pulled in two different directions and she doesn't know which pull to give in to.

This will be god for her, this is the right thing to do

Leah repeats the words over and over in her head. Who is she convincing? She doesn't know.

"Rosie-"

"Please leave" Rosalie says as her breath begins to get locked in her throat. The nickname that once sent butterflies to the very core of her being, now makes her want to roll up into a ball and hide away.

Leah shuts her mouth and nods, despite Rosalie still refusing to look up at her.

Rosalie waits until the door closes shut to let a strangled sob fall from her mouth. The sounds is raw and filled with pain.

How could she end it so easily? How could she not try and fight for them?

Rosalie clutches her chest as that pain and heartbreak cracks through her body. Holding herself because it seems there is no one else who will.

Through blurry vision she sees the tiny box. Her body moves faster than her mind can handle as she picks it up and throws it against the wall as hard as she can. The box bursts open and the picture frame in it falls to the ground. The glass covering shattering on impact, letting the wooden frame clatter against the ground and the old picture float against the ground.

The pregnancy test falls from the box as it clatters against the ground, the positive sign only antagonizing the poor girl who's hunched over with heartbreak.

Rosalie looks to the test and then to the picture; the picture of her and the girl that had only left a few minutes ago.

A cute old photo of them both after becoming a couple

A cute old photo of them both after becoming a couple. The memory always filled her with so much warmth, it was the best thing that had happened to Rosalie in a long time. Now the memory only fills her with heartache.

The memory and feelings attached to it patronise the girth further as she looks down with blurred vision