Geo [♡ pt. 4]

“So then, Jane.” Lilith stirred her half-drunk latte. “What is it you propose?” The two had decided to meet at a cafe, nearer the centre of town. They sat at a table for two, near a large window. It was raining outside - typical weather for the middle of November in that town. Lilith had ordered a medium vanilla latte - Jane a large cappuccino.
“You are not of the Air nor the Sea, this much is certain.” Jane responded. She took a long sip of her coffee before continuing: “the only natural way forward is to test the other options.”
“What do you have in mind?”
“We’ll visit a few friends of mine, of the Earth and the Fire.” Jane smiled. “The chances that you are of any other element are very slim.”
“Very well.” Lilith drained her cup. “Might I ask you one more question?”
“Be my guest, Lilith.”
“Is Jane your true name? Or did you choose it for yourself, similar to how I chose my surname?”
“It is my true name.” Jane answered. “My mother was of the Folk, my father of men. He was the one that raised me - he was a lighthouse keeper, my mother a selkie from what I gathered. He chose my name - not her.” Jane smiled sadly. She drained her cup and got up from where she sat. “Let us be going - we have places to be.” Lilith paid for her coffee and the two left the cafe.

The two walked onward, through the rain. Lilith hid herself safely under her umbrella, and Jane walked without any cover from the rain - she did not need any, after all.
“Where is it we are headed?” Lilith asked.
“I have a friend,” Jane responded. “He is of the Earth - or at least partially. His father was of the Folk.” Jane smiled at Lilith. “He works at the local library - chances are you’ve met him by now.”
“I can’t recall it.”
“No worries, you will when you meet him.”

They walked further uptown, towards the region in which Lilith’s flat was. The rain ceased - turning into that specific drizzle one might find in a seaside town. Of course, the town was not a seaside one per se - it was a good ninety minute trek through the wilds to get to the cliffs - but somehow, it felt like one. They approached the town library. Its large, double doors were oak - with golden embellishments. The steps that lead up to those doors may have been quite a majestic sight, once upon a time - now they just looked sad and lonely, covered in age and graffiti. The walls of the library mimicked the steps, with crude drawings closer to the bottom of them and chipped plaster towards the top. On window ledges, pigeons sat, and although they seemed out of place, if one looked closer one could see quite a peculiar sight - in place of the customary barbed wire, there were nests - furthermore, nearer the roof of the building, there were birdhouses and bird feeders placed strategically, so as to care for those winged friends of man. It was quite a peculiar sight - but in its own way a beautiful one.

Jane pushed the weathered handle on one of the wooden doors and held it open for Lilith to enter. She complied, and walked into the hall, where she was met by large, wooden stairs.
“I must say, this place is not very wheelchair accessible.”
“They have a back entrance with a lift.” Jane replied, sidestepping Lilith. “It does not do to judge a book by its cover, Lilith.” Lilith rolled her eyes at her,  but then followed after, up the wooden stairs towards the front desk.

“Good afternoon.” Jane stepped up to the elderly woman at the desk. “Is George Lambert in today?”
“Yes, he’s over in the archives.” The woman looked up at Jane absentmindedly. Her eyes were covered with a sort of fog. “Feel free to go there and look for him. Here’s an access card.” With that, she passed Jane her access card and Lilith realised something terrible - that the woman was under her spell.
“Thank you, dear.” Jane smiled at the receptionist. “We shall be on our way then.” She led Lilith towards the basements.
“Why did you cast a spell on her?”
“I didn’t.” Jane looked at Lilith, confused.
“I could clearly see it.” Lilith crossed her arms around her chest. “Her eyes were shrouded with a fog, she was looking but not seeing - she was under your charm.”
“I…” Jane stuttered. “I did not do it on purpose, if I did it.” she sighed. “One drawback of my powers is just that - I cannot entirely control the siren charm, it works on its own accord.” She smiled tilting her head. “Which is why I love your company.”
“I don’t understand.”
“You see me as I truly am, not as your perfect image of what I should be.” She responded simply, disappearing into the dark of the corridor leading towards the archives. Lilith sighed, following her onwards.

“Geo! What a pleasure to see you.” Jane walked into the dimly lit room, throwing her arms around the boy. Lilith took a moment to regard him - tall and lanky, he reminded her of a stick insect. He was much taller than most, surely, as his head seemed to reach the tops of the shelves. He had brown hair - the soft kin, not as dark as that of Jane. His eyes were brown too - a muddy brown, with little sparks of gold in it. His face was covered in freckles, and his hands were blotched by black ink. The boy turned to Lilith, smiling.

“Hello.” He said quietly.
“We’ve met before, haven’t we?” He nodded.
“We go to the same university, although I’m in Librarian Studies, and you, from what I remember, are in Music.”
“That is correct.” Lilith extended a hand. “My name is Lilith.”
“Mine is Geo.” He shook Lilith’s hand and turned to Jane, raising an eyebrow. “Now then, to what do I owe the pleasure of this unexpected visitation?”
“This here Lilith is not mortal.” Jane said.
“Yes, that much I can see.” Lilith sighed irritably.
“Honestly, is that evident to all except me?”
“Yes.” Jane and Geo replied simultaneously.
“Although, not to mortals,” Geo added. “Only fellow non-mortals can tell. We see it in you.”
“Like I in your eyes.” Lilith commented. Geo raised an eyebrow, questioning. “Well your eyes have flickers of gold in them, a sign of magic.” She explained. “And Jane’s have a cold fire in them that no-one else has.”
“Interesting…” Geo mused. “I still do not understand why you’re here.”
“I’m getting to it.” Jane laughed. “We’re trying to figure out of which Folk she is - we are certain she is not of the Air nor the Sea - is she of the Earth?”
“No.” Geo said firmly. “She is not. That much is evident.”
“Well of which do you think she might be?”
“Of fire.” Geo hesitated. “Or of the Spirit.” Jane inhaled sharply.
“You think she could be of them? But they do not show themselves to mortals often.”
“It is possible.” Geo turned his gaze to Lilith. “What is your gift, Lilith?”
“The little violin.” She responded. “I have a bond with it - it was a gift to me from the Folk, and it can cast charms and tell stories.”
“The Fire cannot do that.” He turned back to Jane. “You must seek out the Folk of the Spirit - they may have the answers you seek.” With that, he bid them farewell and returned to his work.

The two emerged from the library, shocked to see it was already dark out. Lilith turned to Jane.
“Would you like to stay at my flat for the night? It’s a bit too late for the trek back to your home.”
“Yes, I agree.” Jane sighed and followed Lilith as she led them towards her building. “What do we do now, Lilith?”
“We keep searching.” She said simply. She turned the key in the door and turned to face Jane, smiling slightly. “There’s no giving up now - we’re too deep in the waters.” She opened the door and invited Jane into her safe haven. They would resume their search the next day - but for now, it was time for a break.