Jane [♡ pt. 3]

Lilith sat at the bar, looking down at her book. She wasn’t reading - she just needed something to hide behind. Something to mask the fact her brain was working double time, mulling over the events of the past week. So she sat, in peaceful silence, until it was brutally interrupted by the characteristic screeching noise of someone pulling back one of the old bar stools.

“Can I get you a drink?” the intruder asked.
“Do I look like I need one?” Lilith shot back. The intruder shrugged. She smiled broadly.
“You’re at the Fox & Hound pub, dear, everyone who comes here needs a drink.” She tilted her head ever so slightly. “So, what’ll it be? I’m paying.”
“I presumed as much, since you are the one who came out with the proposal.” Lilith raised an eyebrow. After a moment, she sighed. “A glass of red wine, then. Please.”
“Of course, red wine it is.” The intruder waved over the bartender and ordered two red wines. She then turned to Lilith, regarding her with bright, icy blue eyes. Lilith took that moment to better regard her company as well - bright blue eyes, almost unnaturally so, dark, coiled hair, with silver highlights of sorts, and dark skin. She was of immense beauty - almost dangerous beauty.

“I’m Jane, Jane Clairview.” The intruder introduced herself. “May I have your name?”
“I can tell you my name,” Lilith raised her chin, provocatively. “But you may not own it in any way - it is Lilith. Lilith Ardenclove.”
“I see you’ve met the fae.” The intruder laughed. “I am not, however, of those who steal names, you can believe me on that one.”
“Right.” Lilith turned back to the bar, upon which the barkeep had placed the two wines. She took a deep sip from the glass as Jane chuckled.
“Right, I can see that you definitely did not need that drink.” She sipped her own wine silently, still observing Lilith closely, mischief twinkling in her eyes. “Who are you, Lilith Ardenclove?”
“I don’t understand your question, Jane Clairview.”
“You do.” She grew closer to Lilith - so close in fact, that their faces were divided only by the width of two fingers. Lilith looked into the eyes of her companion - those icy blue eyes - and the flickers of cold fire within them, and those sparks of magic, a sight Lilith was all too accustomed to. “What is there about you Lilith - what makes you immune to my charm?”
“Who are you, Jane Clairview?” Lilith tilted her head. “What is it in you that gives you that spark? You are not of the folk of the air, this much is evident.” Jane simply chuckled.
“Very well then, Lilith.” She smiled, taking another sip of her wine. “You keep your secrets, I shall keep mine.”

Lilith drained her wine glass and gathered her things into her bag. She took one last look at her companion, Jane Clairview, and bid her goodbye, leaving the pub. She put on her thick red scarf, tied her cloak firmly around her body, and began the trek back to her flat. The Fox & Hound pub was conveniently placed within 20 minutes of where Lilith lived - and within half an hour’s trek to the forest. She often came to the Fox & Hound after her time spent in the forest, as it was the only place in the vicinity that was still open at that time, and it was warm, which was much needed after the neverending autumn of the clearing. Lilith wished to forget that place - but she could not find it in herself, she couldn’t forget. She kept on returning to The Valley in her thoughts, to Caterina, to the Folk, and the life she used to lead. It had taken her much to create a place for herself in this new and alarming world, and remembering was a dangerous thing - it was something that tied her to the world she had chosen to leave.

She never found out who it was she had been before she lived in The Valley. She tried, looking for records of missing children from when she presumed to have been born - but her search was fruitless. So instead, she created a new identity, instead of looking for one that once was. She gave herself a family name, called herself an orphan, and enrolled in music school, and rented out an apartment with the help of one tiny little deception.