Chapter 8: The Shaman and the Druid

Mara'gash, daughter of Kara'gash the great Khan who they called the mountain, sister of an exile who they once called a beast and aunt of a girl that was like a daughter to her, was about to abandon her name.

Her head was ringing and her stomach in battle with itself. Slowly she gained consciousness and opened her eyes to a dimly lit hut. It was not simply made of wood but seemed like a tree just had grown perfectly with this small wooden cave inside. Its walls were decorated with skulls of both animal and orc and very few that even seemed like a combination of both. Bones of each hung above her, adorned with feathers and small bushy tails, banded together like a web that watched over her. It was all lit by what she did not know were called candles. Made of beeswax they covered the room in a sweet scent that was clashing with the fresh smell of leaf and grass in the warm breeze that came through a small entrance hole. Even the pelts she was laying on and under were carrying a scent of leaf and oak rather than beast.

Time was turning in her head as much as the room. She did not know how long she was staring and blinking at her surroundings and its scent but it was too long for her to flee before a fat green orc without a nose slowly stomped back into the room. The entrance behind him gave a short glare at a rising sun and trees below them, while they were resting far up on the greatest of them all. Its leaves sang in the breeze and the sun slowly started to aid the candles.

He snorted deep from his nostrils before he sat down at the end of the pelts and raised a word. "Know where you are?...what your name is...anything?" Mara blinked a few times and slowly sat herself up against the wooden wall. "That is a lot of questions..." she said while her headache carried her voice.

"Heh! Well there is a lot to talk..." he said after a small giggle before his voice became darker again. After she thought about the answers to his questions her burning eyes suddenly widened in panic "Kara!..." she said more loudly and was about to stand up "A girl..was she with me?! I need to~" Kazok waved his hand up and down in a motion to ease her "She is fine.." he said which at least kept Mara sitting "Even did good for herself I say. Strong for her age.." he stopped for a second and pierced his eyes directly into Mara's gaze "Even for a darkling..". Slowly Mara realised her situation as she saw his green skin and orange eyes more clearly. They had finally arrived in the land of their old enemy. The clans of the south, those who did not listen to the elements and the Dragon, but to the spirits of beasts and trees. Those who were led by he who they called the Horned Croak, the arch druid.

The noseless man before her did not carry chains and metal in his skin like the shamans of the north, like her, but was adorned with symbols. A red colour made from the trees that were stitched into his skin. Some showing ancient hunts. Of wolf and boar. Others a great stag that watched over them. His cut off nose and bristling dreadlocks made him look more boar than orc. Even more so as his tusks seemed longer than most. He was a druid, she realised and spoke her fears "If you did anything to her..'' she started slowly but angry before Kazok interrupted her angry himself "I just spent an entire night of headaches mending you, you ungrateful piece of dung! Of course she is fine!" It took another long moment for Mara to realise what his words meant. She looked down herself and beneath the pelts where she now remembered the Wyvern had stung her. Dark Leaves she did not know layed pressed on it and she could feel a salve itching beneath them. Slowly she bowed her ringing head all so slightly at the noseless stranger. "Thank you..." it was clear she was still not at ease "but where is she?". Kazok grunted annoyed before he answered "A friend took her to gather the spoils of our victory...just something to get her mind off you until you are safe again." "I am safe." She quickly replied before he shook his head "You are awake.." There was a threat in his voice but before her spinning mind could come up with an answer he continued "She told us much...but I want to hear it from you, Darkling. Don't think I simply trust you because you were stupid enough to run into a wyvern." "Why save me then?" her question widened his eyes for but a moment before he shook his head yet again and more aggressively "Well...she asked..." "Kara?" it was clear her words made him struggle to keep his aggressive pose. After a short moment he straightened himself again "I ask the questions!" even her spinning head could notice his aggressive wall shatter for but a moment only to be regained as such.

Heirs of HatredOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara