Chapter XXVIII: Truce

It was 03 AM on November 23. Vicki was pacing back and forth outside the lab. Ever since her last conversation with Alissia, she had been wracked with guilt. Being told she was just as bad as her father had done something to her.

      Since then, she had found her resolve and spent all day and night preparing a message for the world. She set a timer for it to be released the same day Avarice's final phase of his plan was meant to begin should she not return.

      Now she stood before the double doors to the lab. After gathering more courage, she stepped in. Verin was the only one present at the time. Vicki didn't know whether to see it as luck or misfortune.

      She swallowed, entering deeper into the room.

      "Vicki," Verin stated without facing her. It looked as if she was in the middle of an inventory check as she walked around with a digital board, checking each of Avarice's rare materials he kept stored there. The PRP storage section was empty, and their cindium reserves were lower than ever, but everything from diamonds and rubies to uranium and JANUS tablets was in stock.

      "Where have you been all day?" Verin continued. "I don't recall giving you permission to leave."

      "I'm done...," Vicki practically whispered.

      "Hm?" Verin stopped moving and turned to face Vicki. "What was that?"

      Vicki inhaled and puffed her chest out defiantly. "I said I'm done being your puppet. All the people you've made me kill and sabotage over the centuries...I won't do it anymore. My father's dead and thanks to you all, the world's going to shit. I've held up my end of the deal we made when you saved me, and you've granted me my revenge. It's over now. I'm free."

      Verin looked at Vicki for a moment before bursting into laughter. With a wave of her hand, she increased the gravity around Vicki, forcing her flat onto the floor.

      "Aw, you've grown a conscience," Verin said mockingly as she approached Vicki. "Well, sadly, I'm not done with you yet. You still have one very important job to do."

      Verin grabbed Vicki by the throat and effortlessly dragged her across the lab as Vicki kicked and clawed at her arm. She tossed Vicki into one of the suppression chambers similar to what once held Za'Fia. Vicki's back hit the wall, hard, causing her to start losing consciousness.

      As her mind slipped away, she looked up at Verin who squatted down with a Machiavellian grin.

      "Don't worry. I'll help you get rid of that guilt. By the time I'm done with you, you'll be numb to any more emotions that could get you in trouble."

****

A few hours later...

After giving the current situation a great deal of thought, Avarice had come up with the best course of action for the time being.

      Since the destruction of the three Watcher branches, he had bought each of their company assets, making it very easy to track down anyone he wanted so long as they possessed a c-chip. Using his newfound resources, it wasn't long before he tracked down most of the Primordials along with the human. Tymon and Za'Fia were still untraceable, but the others were all gathered in one location. Using TekTra's satellite it appeared to be a secluded mansion far north.

      Avarice used the transmission ID associated with the girl's c-chip to call her.

      "Hello?" she answered after a short ring. The skepticism in her voice was clear to the ear.

      "Hello, Alissia," Avarice said. "I've decided to move our 'relations' further along by giving you a way to contact me."

      "Avarice..." she hissed as more of the background became audible. She must've put him on speaker to be heard by the others.