CHAPTER 6: Overcoming Fears

Lay's Point of View

"Are you sure this is the right place?" I asked Claire who was busy raising her eyebrow waiting for the reply from her old friend. I mean, a friend from the old days. The unstoppable scrolling on her phone, her shivering eyeballs almost fell as they looked up and down, searching for someone.

We're now in front of a tall, bright, and classy building. He said his office is on the seventh floor.

Claire didn't give any attention at all to what I asked. She looks distracted, although it's noticeable that it's just the two of us here standing beside each other meters away from the exact location Ezekiel texted to us early this morning.

My eyes landed on her, like it's supposed to, I cleared my throat because I felt that there was something in it, before getting her attention. "Claire" I softly called. She looked so distracted that she couldn't hear me. "Where is he?" asked I.

She never turned her face even in a glimpse, "What's the point of a map if this is not the right place then?" she suddenly uttered. Her face is filled with frowning and disappointment. I can sense negative vibes around me.

These ears of mine cannot somehow unhear the tone she used, for it was something not pleasing to my ears. I stared at her waiting for her to realize that there was something wrong with her gestures at this moment. But her eyes were glued to her phone.

I reached out for her hand. It's trembling "Your hand is an ice plant---You look nervous." I uttered. I should've said, relax but I want her to notice that she's not behaving as she wanted to.

Even though it's obvious that she is indeed standing on eggshells right now, her head still manages to shake. "I'm not" and her mouth denied. She smiled at me like it'll work Claire. "The weather is quite cold today, I guess." And denied again.

Is she talking to a kid?

"You're not an introvert like me just in case you forgot." Claire is now sitting stiff. Why didn't we see these seats earlier when we arrived here? Anyway, she's just listening to whatever sermon I'm starting with.

She's a good listener, more than good.

So, I continued my speech and sat beside her. "You're not even in a meeting with someone you want to avoid. You're still outside, just outside, with me." And pointed at me, my existence, my chest to be exact so I could feel the beat of my heart, it's racing. "...so, relax." I finished. This is me and my unstoppable mouth while trying my best to calm my friend.

Why is my heart racing after I've said those things to Claire?

She instantly shook her head to again disagree with what I said. "Not me. I mean I'm not. Why would I be anxious?" she answered. I guess it doesn't work that way.

I stared at the space in front of us, just a loud highway between a commercial building and a Private Hospital. It wasn't there when we arrived earlier, I guess that was magic after all. "I never said anxious. I guess that could be the feeling you're experiencing right now."

Her eyes turned bland as they successfully found my gaze, when they locked, they never argued. It only stares in its stillness. "Thank you for the comfort. Much appreciated, my dear." She replied coldly. Her tone tells me she's not comforted at all.

Now, she's close to having a panic attack because she chose to visit her Psychologist friend instead of staying at home while freezing herself with ice cream, sitting on our sad-absorbent sofa.

A week after Ezekiel's first visit, he succeeded at pursuing Claire. This time we'll be the one visiting him at his office, not a surprise visit like he did. She decided to make her friend, Ezekiel, guiltless of her emotional condition, and her unstoppable overthinking.